The goal of my program is to investigate the nature of chronic stress as it occurs in numerous diseases and aging. Our approach takes advantage of the way nature has evolved to control such stresses, and that is by a unique usage of the chaperome, referred to here as the chronic stress chaperome (CSC). The CSC is epigenetically and thermodynamically distinct from the housekeeping chaperome, and my lab has pioneered an approach to take advantage of such feature. By using innovative methods, we develop small molecule chemical tool sets specifically targeted to the CSC; these act as “sensors” of the CSC and, in turn, of the chronic stress-associated proteome. By the use of these unique tool sets we aim to understand, diagnose, and treat cellular processes associated with chronic stress.
Gabriela Chiosis, PhD
Research FocusChemical biologist Gabriela Chiosis studies the pharmacological modulation of molecular chaperones in transformed systems.
EducationPhD, Columbia University
- Identification of an allosteric pocket on human hsp70 reveals a mode of inhibition of this therapeutically important protein. Rodina A, Patel PD, Kang Y, Patel Y, Baaklini I, Wong MJ, Taldone T, Yan P, Yang C, Maharaj R, Gozman A, Patel MR, Patel HJ, Chirico W, Erdjument-Bromage H, Talele TT, Young JC, Chiosis G. Chem Biol. 2013 Dec 19;20(12):1469-80. doi: 10.1016/j.chembiol.2013.10.008. Epub 2013 Nov 14.
- Paralog-selective Hsp90 inhibitors define tumor-specific regulation of HER2. Patel PD, Yan P, Seidler PM, Patel HJ, Sun W, Yang C, Que NS, Taldone T, Finotti P, Stephani RA, Gewirth DT, Chiosis G. Nat Chem Biol. 2013 Sep 1. doi: 10.1038/nchembio.1335. [Epub ahead of print]
- AACR – Cancer Research and Prevention Career Development Award in Translational Lung Cancer Research, in Memory of Duffy Wall
- Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Translational Research Award
- Frederick R. Adler Chair for Junior Faculty
- Award for Drug Discovery Research for Frontotemporal Dementia
- Top 5 percent cited author in Biology and Biochemistry 2010 (analysis by Thomson Reuters)
- Translated from bench-to-bedside the Hsp90 inhibitor PU-H71 and the non-invasive companion diagnostic 124I-PU-H71 PET assay