The Rätsch laboratory advances computational methods for the analysis of big biomedical data. The group utilizes, develops, and integrates ideas from machine learning, operations research, sequence analysis, statistical genetics, text mining, and computer vision with the aim to discover relationships in complex biomedical data.
Gunnar Rätsch, PhD
Research FocusData scientist Gunnar Rätsch develops and applies advanced analysis and modeling techniques to data derived from genomics, high-throughput sequencing, clinical records, and images.
EducationPhD, Universitat Potsdam
- Behr J, A Kahles, Y Zhong, VT Sreedharan, P Drewe, G Rätsch. MiTie: Simultaneous RNA-Seq-based transcript identification and quantification in multiple samples. Bioinformatics, 29(20):2529-38, 2013. [Pubmed], [PDF].
- Drewe P, O Stegle, L Hartmann L, A Kahles, R Bohnert, A Wachter, K Borgwardt, G Rätsch. Accurate detection of differential RNA processing. Nucleic Acids Res., 41(10):5189-98, 2013. [Pubmed], [PDF].
- Suite of innovative analysis tools for deep RNA sequencing (RNA-Seq)
- Algorithmic and theoretical contributions in machine learning
- Large-scale algorithms for sequence classification and gene annotation
- Olympus Award of the German Society of Pattern Recognition (2007)
- Max Planck Young and Independent Investigator Award (2005-2011)