Paul A. Marks, MD
Research FocusCell biologist Paul Marks focuses on the study of agents that selectively target histone deacetylases and cause transformed cell growth arrest, terminal differentiation, apoptosis, and/or cell death.
- Lee JH, Choy ML, Ngo L, Venta-Perez G, Marks PA. Role of checkpoint kinase 1 (Chk1) in the mechanisms of resistance to histone deacetylase inhibitors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011 Dec 6;108(49):19629-34. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1117544108. Epub 2011 Nov 21.
- Gammoh N, Lam D, Puente C, Ganley I, Marks PA, Jiang X. Role of autophagy in histone deacetylase inhibitor-induced apoptotic and nonapoptotic cell death. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012 Apr 24;109(17):6561-5. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1204429109. Epub 2012 Apr 9.
- Biotechnology Achievement Award, Dart /NYU (2013)
- Doctor of Science (hon. Caus.), Columbia University (2000)
- Gold Medal for Distinguished Academic Accomplishments, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons (1994)
- President's National Medal of Science (1991)
- President's Cancer Panel (1976-1979)
- Council, National Academy of Sciences (1984-1987)
- Discovery of SAHA (vorinostat)
- Identification of HDAC6 specific inhibitor