The study of agents that selectively target histone deacetylases and cause transformed cell growth arrest, terminal differentiation, apoptosis, and cell death.
Paul A. Marks, MD
Research FocusCell biologist Paul Marks focuses on the study of agents that selectively target histone deacetylases and cause transformed cell growth arrest, terminal differentiation, apoptosis, and/or cell death.
- Lee JH, Choy ML, Ngo L, Venta-Perez G, Marks PA. Role of checkpoint kinase 1 (Chk1) in the mechanisms of resistance to histone deacetylase inhibitors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011 Dec 6;108(49):19629-34. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1117544108. Epub 2011 Nov 21.
- Gammoh N, Lam D, Puente C, Ganley I, Marks PA, Jiang X. Role of autophagy in histone deacetylase inhibitor-induced apoptotic and nonapoptotic cell death. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012 Apr 24;109(17):6561-5. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1204429109. Epub 2012 Apr 9.
- Michael Pupin Medal for Service to the Nation in Science, Technology, or Engineering (2016)
- Biotechnology Achievement Award, Dart /NYU (2013)
- Doctor of Science (hon. Caus.), Columbia University (2000)
- Gold Medal for Distinguished Academic Accomplishments, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons (1994)
- President's National Medal of Science (1991)
- President's Cancer Panel (1976-1979)
- Council, National Academy of Sciences (1984-1987)
- Discovery of SAHA (vorinostat)
- Identification of HDAC6 specific inhibitor