Stewart Shuman, MD, PhD
American Cancer Society Research Professor; Professor
Research FocusThe goal of my research is to understand the mechanisms and structures of enzymes that perform and regulate essential nucleic acid transactions.
- B.A. Biology (1976) Wesleyan University
- Ph.D. Molecular Biology (1983) Albert Einstein College of Medicine
- M.D. (1981) Albert Einstein College of Medicine
- Schwer, B., Bitton, D.A., Sanchez, A.M., Bähler, J., and Shuman, S. (2014) Individual letters of the RNA polymerase II CTD code govern distinct gene expression programs in fission yeast. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 111, 4185-4190.
- Chakravarty, A.K., Smith, P., Jalan, R., and Shuman, S. (2014) Structure, mechanism, and specificity of a eukaryal tRNA restriction enzyme involved in self-nonself discrimination. Cell Reports 7, 339-347.
- Member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences (2015)
- Fellow of the American Academy of Microbiology (2013)
- NIH MERIT Award (2007)
- American Cancer Society Research Professor (2005 - )
- American Society for Virology, Wolfgang Joklik Lectureship (2004)