Explore MSK Direct Services
Solely focused on cancer, MSK Direct supports your employees and their families, wherever they live and at any stage of their cancer journey—ultimately improving health outcomes and lowering the cost of cancer care.
Virtual Oncology Services
The MSK Direct team partners with employers to engage members who could benefit from virtual cancer guidance and support. Our digital solution empowers members to take control of their treatment plan and enables broad access to expert medical opinions, a comprehensive support team, care navigation, and care planning tools.
An accurate diagnosis helps ensure appropriate, effective care, and can prevent costly future changes in treatment.
Expert medical opinions can be easily accessed through the MSK Direct app, helping employees impacted by cancer make informed, confident decisions about their care. MSK’s subspecialists include surgical, medical and radiation oncologists, working in concert with pathologists and radiologists, who precisely identify someone’s cancer type and recommend a treatment plan that is right for each patient.
- Subspecialized oncology expertise
- Collaboration with the local treating doctor
- Precision diagnostics including pathology and radiology expert review
A recent MSK study published in Cancer Medicine demonstrated significant improvements in survival and quality of life resulting from an MSK expert medical opinion.
1 in 3 patients received a meaningful change in treatment plan recommendations.
1 in 5 patients avoided unnecessary surgical treatment harm and costs, while maintaining or improving survival.
1 in 10 patients avoided harmful and costly treatment by de-escalation of treatment all the way to active surveillance.
“I am extremely pleased with the MSK expert medical second opinion process and team. Thank you especially to the coordinator … He was efficient and demonstrated a high level of professionalism along with a personal touch during every communication.”
“I am in a much better place – thanks to the reading materials, using the calendar to schedule my appointments and keep track of my symptoms - and [my Coach] for her advice and guidance. Thank you for checking in and being supportive.”
“[My Coach] has me doing things that I would otherwise not do (i.e. journaling, meditating, weekly planning, which I find very helpful!”
MSK Direct integrated support teams include oncology nurses, social workers, nutritionists, financial counselors, and exercise therapists, working together to deliver holistic and customized support.
- 24/7 access to psychosocial support coaches
- Oncology Certified Nurses answer clinical questions and guide members to in-network, top quality cancer centers close to home
Digital tools available through the MSK Direct app make it easy to organize schedules and care, track medications and symptoms, and mood – all in one place. When working with a cancer care support coach, members receive a custom action plan and resources to support them throughout their cancer journey.
Oncology Certified Nurses guide members to top-quality, in-network cancer centers close to home using MSK’s proprietary methodology that incorporates a peer reviewed approach.
Members are connected to local and national resources based on their individual goals, including more than 60+ 3rd party, non-profit organizations to support psychosocial needs:
- Peer-to-peer community
- Parental support
- Cancer survivors
- Creative arts
- General support
On-site Oncology Services
Employees and members can contact the MSK Direct team to schedule an appointment. From chemotherapy and radiation treatments to cutting-edge clinical trials, plus pre-operative and post-operative check-ins with your surgeon, we want cancer care to be as convenient as possible.
Our knowledgeable Care Advisors assist employees and members with coordinating care—and our MSK Direct team provides navigation and support throughout the entire cancer journey.
- Help with gathering necessary medical records and test results.
- Easy scheduling of timely, coordinated appointments.
- Dedicated clinical support across the cancer journey with skilled, experienced Oncology Certified Nurses® (OCNs).
- Psychosocial support for patients, family members, and caregivers.
- Education about the latest relevant oncology clinical trials and resources.*
- Genetic sequencing and analysis of cancer for quick assessment of proper treatment regimens through MSK’s FDA-approved proprietary technology.**
*Contact us to learn which services are available where you live.
**If clinically appropriate.
Cancer Screening, Prevention, and Early Detection
- Customized cancer screening and risk assessment based on personal profile and family history.
- State-of-the-art genetic testing and guidance from MSK counselors on managing inherited cancer risk.
- Recommendations on how to interpret or act early on suspicion of cancer for more accurate diagnoses.
- Corporate screening program designed for employer and union partners.
The MSK Direct Difference
Better Cancer Care Outcomes
Because MSK is 100% focused on cancer, we are positioned to deliver higher survival rates, shorter hospital stays, and less invasive treatment plans for many types of cancer. Our patient-centered care also helps individuals proactively manage their health.
- 16% lower 3-year utilization than the average of all other hospitals for newly diagnosed cancer patients
- 25% better 5-year survival rate
Subspecialty Expertise and Experience
MSK Direct improves cancer care outcomes through access to MSK’s leading cancer subspecialty experts, as well as breakthrough innovations, discoveries, and science. As a world-leading authority, MSK has specialists who treat every type of cancer, with expertise in surgery, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, nursing, and supportive care.
Our cancer screening and prevention programs, earlier detection methods, empathetic care, and more comprehensive diagnoses serve diverse communities across the nation. We also have the largest pediatric cancer program in the country: MSK Kids.
Commitment to Health Equity
MSK Direct is an important element of MSK’s efforts to ensure there is equity in cancer care—so that each person has the resources, opportunities, and support they need to live a healthy life. It also means that people understand their cancer risk and have access to cancer screening, treatment, and survivorship care.
Our team at MSK has created a culture that embraces differences, expanding access to exceptional cancer care for all. We also offer resources and services in multiple languages.
“MSK Direct is a unique program that gives us an opportunity to help bridge the gap in terms of cancer health inequities.”
- Carol Brown, MD, Chief Health Equity Officer and gynecologic cancer surgeon at MSK
Innovations in Cancer Care Delivery
MSK collaborates with employers, unions, benefits consultants, health plans, and third-party administrators to provide benefit design and alternative payment models that improve cancer care outcomes and reduce costs, guiding patients toward the highest-quality care, including:
- Collaboration with health plans to design incentives for optimal patient care.
- Alternative payment models, such as fixed pricing for certain types of cancer.
- Designation as an oncology Center of Excellence to increase efficiency and access for employees and union members through a combination of value-based design options and travel support programs.
MSK Direct listened to a variety of stakeholders across the nation to understand what it means to deliver top cancer care and support. No matter when or where you need us, we are here to guide you.