Our research is focused on understanding the molecular mechanisms governing the differentiation and function of CD4 T lymphocytes and their role in immunity and tolerance. Major areas of interest include: the molecular and cellular mechanisms governing the differentiation and function of regulatory T cells; the roles these cells play in control of autoimmunity, tumor immunity, and immunity to infections, and in the maintenance of immune homeostasis at environmental interfaces. We are particularly interested in understanding the role of the forkhead family transcription factor Foxp3 in establishing and maintaining immune homeostasis; and in the plasticity of regulatory T cell transcriptional and functional programs and the molecular mechanisms of regulatory T cell lineage stability.
Alexander Rudensky, PhD
Chair, Immunology Program, SKI; Director, Ludwig Center at MSK
Research FocusImmunology Program Chair Alexander Rudensky focuses on immunological tolerance and the differentiation and function of T cells.
EducationPhD, Gabrichevsky Institute for Microbiology and Epigemiology
- Arpaia N, Green J, Moltedo B, Arvey A, Hemmers S, Yuan S, Treuting P, Rudensky A. (2015) A Distinct Function of Regulatory T Cells in Tissue Protection. Cell. 162: 1078- 1089.
- Lu LF, Gasteiger G, Yu IS, Chaudhry A, Hsin JP, Lu Y, Bos PD, Lin LL, Zawislak CL, Cho S, Sun JC, Leslie CS, Lin SW, Rudensky AY. (2015) A Single miRNA-mRNA Interaction Affects the Immune Response in a Context- and Cell-Type-Specific Manner. Immunity. 43:52-64.
- Member, American Academy of Arts and Sciences (2015)
- Coley Award in Basic Immunology, Cancer Research Institute (2015)
- Thomson Reuters Citation Laureate (2015)
- Member, National Academy of Sciences (2012)
- Merit Award, National Institutes of Health (2009)
Read more Read less
- Julius Stone Lectureship Award, Society for Investigative Dermatology (2006)
- Investigator Award, American Association of Immunologists/PharMingen (1999)
- Searle Scholar Award (1993)
- Investigator, Howard Hughes Medical Institute (1993)
- Elucidation of the function of transcription factor Foxp3 in regulatory T cells and their critical role in immune homeostasis (2003-2010)
- Identification of the primary structure of MHC class II bound peptides (1991)