Over the past ten years, we have investigated the developmental origin and homeostasis of macrophages and the related cell types monocytes and dendritic cells. These cells play a major role in diverse types of cancer and can either restrain or promote cancer progression and metastasis. The Geissmann lab is now building on previous work to investigate mechanisms by which tissue macrophages may control tissue growth and metabolism and whether these same mechanisms play a role in cancer initiation and development.
Frederic Geissmann, MD, PhD
William E. Snee Chair of Immunology
Research FocusMy research is focused on cellular and molecular mechanisms that control the differentiation, maintenance, and physiological functions of macrophages and monocytes and their roles in tissue homeostasis and disease processes.
- MD, University of Paris, Paris VI Pierre et Marie Curie
- PhD, University of Paris, Paris V Rene-Descartes
- Mass E, Jacome-Galarza CE, Blank T, Lazarov T, Durham BH, Ozkaya N, Pastore A, Schwabenland M, Chung YR, Rosenblum MK, Prinz M, Abdel-Wahab O, Geissmann F. (2017). A somatic mutation in erythro-myeloid progenitors causes neurodegenerative disease. Nature. Sept;549(7672):389-393.
- Cottineau J, Kottemann MC, Lach FP, Kang YH, Vély F, Deenick EK, Lazarov T, Gineau L, Wang Y, Farina A, Chansel M, Lorenzo L, Piperoglou C, Ma CS, Nitschke P, Belkadi A, Itan Y, Boisson B, Jabot-Hanin F, Picard C, Bustamante J, Eidenschenk C, Boucherit S, Aladjidi N, Lacombe D, Barat P, Qasim W, Hurst JA, Pollard AJ, Uhlig HH, Fieschi C, Michon J, Bermudez VP, Abel L, de Villartay JP, Geissmann F, Tangye SG, Hurwitz J, Vivier E, Casanova JL, Smogorzewska A, Jouanguy E. (2017). Inherited GINS1 deficiency underlies growth retardation along with neutropenia and NK cell deficiency. Journal of Clinical Investigation May;127(5):1991-2006. PMC5409070
- Wellcome Trust Senior Investigator Award (2013)
- European Research Council Investigator Award (2010)
- MRC Strategic award (2009)
- European Young Investigator Award (EURYI award) (2006)
- Fellow of the Schlumberger Foundation for Education and research (2004)