The goal of our laboratory is to understand when, why, and how immune cells become unresponsive to tumors. We develop genetic cancer mouse models that mimic cancer development in patients, investigate T cell responses over the course of tumor development, and define the molecular and epigenetic mechanisms that are responsible for the failure to control and eliminate tumors. Detailed information about our research is available at www.schietingerlab.com.
Andrea Schietinger, PhD
Associate Member, Immunology Program, SKI
Research FocusCancer Immunologist Andrea Schietinger investigates immune responses to cancer, molecular mechanisms underlying tumor-induced T cell dysfunction, and new approaches for cancer immunotherapy.
EducationPharmD, University of Hamburg, PhD, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL and University of Munich, Germany; Postdoctoral Training: Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center and University of Washington, Seattle
- TOX is a critical regulator of tumour-specific T cell differentiation. Scott AC, Dündar F, Zumbo P, Chandran SS, Klebanoff CA, Shakiba M, Trivedi P, Menocal L, Appleby H, Camara S, Zamarin D, Walther T, Snyder A, Femia MR, Comen EA, Wen HY, Hellmann MD, Anandasabapathy N, Liu Y, Altorki NK, Lauer P, Levy O, Glickman MS, Kaye J, Betel D, Philip M, Schietinger A. Nature. 2019 Jul;571(7764):270-274. doi: 10.1038/s41586-019-1324-y. Epub 2019 Jun 17.
- Chromatin states define tumour-specific T cell dysfunction and reprogramming. Philip M, Fairchild L, Sun L, Horste EL, Camara S, Shakiba M, Scott AC, Viale A, Lauer P, Merghoub T, Hellmann MD, Wolchok JD, Leslie CS, Schietinger A. Nature. 2017 May 25;545(7655):452-456. doi: 10.1038/nature22367. Epub 2017 May 17.
- Cancer Research Institute Lloyd Old STAR Award (2019)
- NIH Director’s Innovator Award (2017)
- NIH/NCI K99/R00 Award (2015)
- Josie Robertson Investigator Award (2015)
- V Foundation for Cancer Research Award (2015)
- William and Ella Owens Medical Research Foundation Award (2016)
- Cancer Research Institute Irvington Fellowship (2012)