We are interested in the mechanisms that support tissue homeostasis and cancer metastasis. Focusing on TGFβ as one of the most prevalent signaling pathways in metazoan biology, we are establishing how TGFβ signals control pluripotency and differentiation in stem cells, and homeostasis in mature cells. In addition, we are interested in the genes and pathways that drive metastasis. Ultimately, our goal is to use this basic knowledge to develop innovative cancer treatments.
Joan Massagué, PhD
Executive Director, GMTEC; Director, Sloan Kettering Institute Member, Cancer Biology & Genetics Program
Research FocusSloan Kettering Institute Director Joan Massagué studies the control of stem cell growth and phenotype in tumor progression, metastasis, and response to therapy.
EducationPhD, University of Barcelona
Read more Read less
- Valiente, M., Obenauf, A.C., Jin, X., Chen, Q., Zhang, X.H.F., Lee, D.J., Chaft, J.E., Kris, M.G., Huse, J.T., Brogi, E. and Massagué, J. Serpins promote cancer cell survival and vascular cooption in brain metastasis. Cell. 2014 Feb 27;156(5):1002–1016.
- Zhang, X. H.-F., Jin, X., Malladi, S., Kim, J.Y., Wen, Y.H., Brogi, E., Smid, M., Foekens, J. and Massagué, J. Selection of bone metastasis seeds by mesenchymal signals in the primary tumor stroma. Cell. 2013 Aug 29;154(5):1060-73.
- Fellow, American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) Academy (2016)
- Pezcoller Foundation-AACR International Award for Cancer Research (2016)
- Charles Rodolphe Brupbacher Prize for Cancer Research (2015)
- National Prize for Research in Biology, Spain (2014)
- American Italian Cancer Foundation Price (2013)
Read more Read less
- Prize in Cancer Research, Robert J. and Claire Pasarow Foundation (2011)
- Frontiers Prize in Biomedicine, BBVA Foundation (2008)
- Vilcek Prize, Vilcek Foundation (2006)
- Member, Institute of Medicine (2006)
- Award in Science and Technology, Prince Asturius Foundation (2004)
- Member, National Academy of Sciences (2000)
- Member, American Academy of Arts and Sciences (1999)
- Investigator, Howard Hughes Medical Institute (1990)
- Elucidation of the TGF-beta pathway