Serve this energizing dish with flour or corn tortillas or on a bed of brown rice. The portion for the Carbohydrate Controlled diet is two 6-inch tortillas or half a cup of brown rice.
1 tablespoon chili powder
½ tablespoon paprika
½ teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon salt
1 large onion, sliced in ¼-inch-wide strips
3 bell peppers, any color, sliced in ¼-inch-wide strips
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, sliced in ¼-inch-wide strips
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Juice of half a lime
8 6-inch tortillas (flour or corn)
½ cup sour cream (optional)
¼ bunch fresh cilantro (optional)
- Thoroughly rinse fresh produce under warm running water for 20 seconds. Scrub to remove excess dirt.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix the chili powder, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, cayenne, sugar, and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
- Spread onions and bell peppers in a 13x15 casserole dish or on a large rimmed baking sheet. Top with sliced chicken. Drizzle oil over chicken and vegetables, then sprinkle seasoning mixture on top. Toss until combined. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, stirring once halfway through. Temperature of fajitas should be 165 degrees using an instant-read thermometer.
- Sprinkle lime juice over fajitas and serve immediately with tortillas and, if using, sour cream and cilantro.