After you talk with an MSK Care Advisor, you will need to prepare for your first appointment. Some information we will help you get from other healthcare providers. There are also important things you need to physically bring with you to your first appointment.
What MSK Will Help You With
Your MSK care team will need to review any tests, procedures, or treatments that you have had. An MSK staff member will help you request this information from healthcare providers outside MSK:
Pathology slides from any biopsies or surgical procedures
These are glass slides that contain tissue samples from the tumor(s).
These are tests taken to produce images of the tumor(s). Examples include x-rays, CT scans, MRIs, PET scans, and bone scans.
This is a description written by your doctor detailing your medical problems and the treatment you have received.
What To Bring to Your First Appointment
Here’s what you should bring to your first appointment at MSK:
Bring the bottles of all medications you take, including those prescribed by doctors and those you buy over the counter. This should include bottles of any vitamins or herbal products you take.
The bottles should indicate the following information:
- the name of each medicine
- the dose you take
- how often you take it
Insurance and prescription cards
Bring the following cards with you to your first appointment:
- Your insurance card. If you are covered by more than one insurer, please bring both cards.
- Your prescription coverage or “pharmacy” card.
- Your photo ID.
Other Ways to Prepare for Your Appointment
- Write down any questions you want to ask during first visit with your oncologist or surgeon. Bring these with you.
- Bring paper and pencil so you can take notes during your appointment.
- Arrange for a friend or family member to come with you. You will receive a lot of information that day. It is helpful to have someone else with you to listen and take notes.