This protein-rich main course works with a variety of diets and can serve the whole family. Modify for a low-fiber diet by removing the broccoli.
4 pounds spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound chicken breast, diced
2 cups broccoli florets, chopped
½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
1½ cups grated part-skim mozzarella cheese
½ cup grated Parmesan
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground pepper
¼ cup panko bread crumbs
- Thoroughly rinse fresh produce under warm running water for 20 seconds. Scrub to remove excess dirt.
- Position racks in upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 375 degrees.
- Place squash cut-side down on a microwave-safe dish; add water and microwave on high until flesh is tender, 12 to 14 minutes. When cool, scrape flesh from rind in spaghetti like strands.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and chicken; cook until chicken is browned on all sides. Add broccoli and broth, and cook for 2 minutes.
- In a large bowl, toss shredded spaghetti squash and chicken mixture with ¾ cup mozzarella, 2 tablespoons Parmesan, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Spread in an oven-safe casserole dish. Sprinkle with remaining ¾ cup mozzarella and 6 tablespoons Parmesan; top with bread crumbs.
- Bake on lower rack for 15 minutes. Move to upper rack and increase heat to 425 degrees. Bake until cheese browns, an additional 3 to 5 minutes. Casserole should register 165 degrees Fahrenheit or higher using an instant-read thermometer placed in the middle of the dish.