- It is used to treat high ammonia levels in some people.
- If your child has an allergy to this drug or any part of this drug.
- If your child is allergic to any drugs like this one or any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell the doctor about the allergy and what signs your child had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
If your child is breast-feeding a baby:
- Be sure your child does not breast-feed a baby while taking this drug.
- Tell all of your child’s health care providers that your child is taking this drug. This includes your child’s doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Have your child’s blood work checked often. Talk with your child’s doctor.
- Have your child follow the diet plan your child’s doctor told you about.
If your child is pregnant:
- Tell the doctor if your child is pregnant or becomes pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of your child using this drug while pregnant.
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of infection like fever, chills, very bad sore throat, ear or sinus pain, cough, more sputum or change in color of sputum, pain with passing urine, mouth sores, or wound that will not heal.
- Sweating a lot.
- Ear pain.
- Feeling very tired or weak.
- Feeling sleepy.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Loose stools (diarrhea).
- Belly pain.
- Change in taste.
- Nose or throat irritation.
- Feeling tired or weak.
- Weight loss.
- Not hungry.
- Give before meals.
- Be sure your child does not swallow this drug whole. Do not let your child chew, break, or crush.
- Mix each tablet with a 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) or more of water. Have your child drink it right away.
- If the dose contains part of a tablet, be sure you know how to mix and measure the dose.
- Rinse cup with more water and have your child drink.
- Do not mix with juice, milk, or other drinks.
- Children who have feeding tubes may also use the tablet. Mix each tablet with a ½ teaspoon (2.5 mL) or more of water. Give right away. Flush the feeding tube before and after this drug is given.
- Give a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your child’s next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your child’s normal time.
- Do not give 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Store unopened containers in a refrigerator. Do not freeze.
- After opening, store at room temperature. Throw away after 30 days.
- Protect from light.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
- If your child’s symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your child’s doctor.
- Do not share your child’s drug with others and do not give anyone else’s drug to your child.
- Keep a list of all your child’s drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your child’s doctor.
- Talk with your child’s doctor before giving your child any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. If you have any questions about this drug, please talk with your child’s doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.