This creamy, easy-to-swallow soup makes for the ultimate heart-healthy comfort food. The extra depth of flavor comes from roasting the squash and then letting the soup simmer for 30 minutes after blending.
- Thoroughly rinse fresh produce under warm running water for 20 seconds. Scrub to remove excess dirt.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper, then spread squash evenly on paper. Drizzle squash with 2 tablespoons olive oil and roast 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook until onion is soft and starts to brown. Add roasted squash, vegetable stock, water, pumpkin puree, apples, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, salt, and black pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to a simmer and cook until squash and apples are tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender, food mill, food processor, or blender. Place pot over low heat until soup is warmed through, about 30 minutes. Add yogurt, stirring until completely combined. Soup should be 145 degrees using an instant-read thermometer.
- Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with seeds, if using.