This casserole dish, made with a sprinkling of low-fat cheddar, relies on flavor rather than fat or salt. Incorporating more salt-free seasonings into your cooking can help when you’re trying to follow a cardiac diet.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine cornmeal and chicken broth in a medium saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens. Let cool 5 minutes.
- Lightly coat a small casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Spread cornmeal mixture on bottom of casserole dish to create a base.
- Spread shredded chicken on top of cornmeal.
- Place tomato sauce in a small bowl and stir in the garlic powder, oregano, and thyme. Evenly distribute the tomato sauce over the chicken.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro if desired.