The identification of small-molecule probes and therapeutic lead compounds to address novel biological targets is a significant current challenge in chemical biology and drug discovery. We are engaged in a two-pronged approach to this problem involving diversity-oriented synthesis and rational design as complementary approaches to ligand discovery. Our work in both of these areas is influenced at multiple levels by insights from natural products. At the core of these efforts is the development of new chemical methodologies to provide flexible, efficient, systematic access to these structures. We leverage multidisciplinary collaborations with biologists to evaluate these molecules to probe key biological processes and to explore new therapeutic opportunities in cancer and infectious diseases.
Derek Tan, PhD
Chairman, Member, and Tri-Institutional Professor
Chairman, Chemical Biology Program, SKI<br />Tri-Institutional Professor
Research FocusDerek Tan’s lab studies diversity-oriented synthesis and rational drug design of probes and lead compounds for chemical biology and drug discovery.
- BS, Stanford University
- PhD, Harvard University
- Design, synthesis, and biological evaluation of α-hydroxyacyl-AMS inhibitors of amino acid adenylation enzymes.
Davis, T. D.†; Mohandas, P. †; Chiriac, M. I.; Bythrow, G. V.; Quadri, L. E. N.; Tan, D. S.* Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett. 2016, 21, 5340–5345.
[ Abstract | PubMed |PMC ]
- Designed small-molecule inhibitors of the anthranilyl-CoA synthetase PqsA block quinolone biosynthesis in Pseudomonas aeruginosa.
Ji, C.; Sharma, I.; Pratihar, I.; Hudson, L.; Maura, D.; Guney, T.; Rahme, L. G.; Pesci, E. C.; Coleman, J. P.; Tan, D. S.*; ACS Chem. Biol. 2016, 11, 3061–3067.
[ Abstract | PubMed | PMC ]
- Development of salicyl-AMS, a novel antibacterial agent to treat tuberculosis and other infections
- Louise and Allston Boyer Young Investigator Award for Basic Research, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (2010)
- Dean's Award for Excellence in Teaching and Mentoring, Weill Cornell Graduate School of Medical Sciences (2013)