Patient Care and Greatest Needs
Taking care of people with cancer and their families is central to our mission, and our donor community continues to elevate the standards of care for Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (MSK) patients and people worldwide. In 2021, philanthropy made these new initiatives possible:
- A fund to support MSK’s boldest and most promising translational research.
- A multidisciplinary center that focuses on the unique biological and social needs of young people with cancer.
- A program to help patients heal by putting into practice leading-edge discoveries on nutrition and the microbiome.
MSK has long led the field of cancer research, creating novel treatments and cures as well as entirely new ways of understanding the disease. Thanks to recent breakthroughs and innovative technology, we are on the cusp of a revolution in cancer science, with the potential to save even more lives. In 2021, philanthropy supported:
- Drug discovery. The FDA approved a diagnostic tool and multiple treatments developed or tested at MSK for prostate, non-small cell lung, endometrial, and kidney cancers. Philanthropy funds the laboratory research and clinical trials necessary to bring a drug to market.
- Endowed chairs, so MSK’s scientists have the resources they need to continue their research.
MSK is committed to ensuring that all clinicians and scientists have the opportunities and resources they need to flourish so that tomorrow’s top cancer specialists are equipped to advance patient care and cancer science. In 2021, the MSK donor community made possible:
- Fellowships to train the next generation of cancer experts.
- Programs to enhance diversity in our labs and across the sciences, including a partnership with historically Black colleges and universities.
Philanthropy by the Numbers
In 2021, more than 420,000 individuals, families, foundations, and companies contributed more than 600,000 donations — raising more than $600 million for cancer care, research, and education.
- Patient Care and Greatest Needs: $307.2 million
- Research: $233.3 million
- Education: $68.5 million
- Total: $609 million
The MSK Giving Community in 2021: Together, Advancing MSK’s Mission
- Nearly 56,000 donors increased their giving.
- More than 82,000 donors made two or more donations.
- More than 320 donors told us MSK was in their estate plans.
- Donors live in 87 countries and all 50 states.
- Donors held 1,132 Facebook and Instagram fundraisers for MSK.