My expertise is in the treatment of genitourinary tumors — particularly bladder and testicular cancers. As a member of Memorial Sloan Kettering’s Genitourinary Oncology faculty since 1986, I have diagnosed and treated thousands of people with these cancers.
Read more Read less
For each patient, I collaborate closely with a team of surgeons, radiation oncologists, nurses, and social workers to provide the most sophisticated, up-to-date, and personalized care.
In addition to treating patients, I have researched new drugs (and combinations of drugs) for people who have developed advanced bladder cancer and other genitourinary malignancies. I also oversee a program that gathers clinical and genetic information from patients with bladder cancer that could guide us to more-targeted anticancer drugs. The findings could also help us identify genetic influences on how people respond to treatment, and clarify who is at high risk of developing this cancer in the first place.
My research on testicular cancer has been directed toward decreasing the side effects of chemotherapy drugs and evaluating biological characteristics of tumors to predict treatment response.
I am proud to have received a number of honors and awards for my work, including, in 2011, the Statesmen Award from the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO), which recognizes certain members for more than 20 years of extraordinary volunteer service, dedication, and commitment.
Among other contributions I also helped ASCO shape a new strategic plan to address the looming shortage of oncologists in the United States by 2020 — including the development of innovative practice arrangements. I am currently the Chair-Elect for the Professional Development Committee, which oversees the organization’s efforts in career development, lifelong learning, and fellowship training for oncologists.
I am a reviewer for a number of major journals on testicular and bladder cancer, and have authored or coauthored more than 200 medical manuscripts. I have served as the principal investigator on research grants from both the National Institutes of Health and the National Cancer Institute.
Since 1999, I have directed the Clinical Research Curriculum for training clinical investigators. As Director of the Medical Oncology/Hematology Fellowship Training Program since 1994, I help oversee the training of the next generation of leaders in cancer treatment and research. I am also a Professor of Medicine at Weill Cornell Medical College.
- Clinical Expertise: Bladder Cancer; Testicular Cancer; Prostate Cancer; Kidney Cancer; Other Genitourinary Cancers; Immunotherapy
- Awards and Honors: Castle Connolly: New York Magazine Top Doctors (2010; 2015-2017)
- Languages Spoken: English
- Education: MD, New York Medical College
- Residencies: Internal Medicine - Hartford Hospital
- Fellowships: Medical Oncology - Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center; Medicine - Cornell University Medical Center
- Board Certifications: Internal Medicine; Medical Oncology
Research is integral to our mission at Memorial Sloan Kettering, and clinical trials help us discover better forms of patient care and treatment. For you, this could mean access to a new therapy or therapy combination. Click to see a list of the trials I’m currently leading.
Read more Read less
Clinical Trials Led by Dean F. Bajorin
Clinical Trials Co-Investigated by Dean F. Bajorin
- A Phase I Study of ASG-22CE in Patients with Metastatic Urothelial Cancers Containing Nectin-4
- A Phase II Study of Gemcitabine and Cisplatin before Surgery in Patients with High-Grade Upper Tract Urothelial Carcinoma
- A Phase II Study of Two Dosing Schedules of Atezolizumab Immunotherapy plus Chemotherapy for Metastatic Bladder Cancer
- A Study of Presurgical Atezolizumab Immunotherapy with Gemcitabine and Cisplatin in Patients with Metastatic Bladder Cancer
Most major health insurers offer plans that include MSK as one of their in-network providers. If MSK is in-network, it means all our doctors are too. Medicaid and New York State Medicare also provide benefits for care at MSK.Learn more