Eric Mallack, MD, MBE
We post reviews for MSK healthcare providers who have at least 30 patient experience surveys completed. If you do not see reviews for a provider, it may be because they do not yet have enough survey responses, or the provider may not be part of the group of healthcare providers included in the survey.
Only outpatient providers are included in the survey. Healthcare providers who only work in the hospital or in urgent care are not included in the survey. Pathologists or researchers who do not provide direct care to patients do not have reviews.
Areas of Expertise
- Lysosomal Storage Disorders
I am a pediatric neurologist who specializes in the care of children affected by a group of neurometabolic disorders known as leukodystrophies. I am a member of the MSK Kids team and Director of the Leukodystrophy Center at Weill Cornell Medicine. Together we partner to deliver care and conduct research through the Weill Cornell Medicine-MSK Metabolic Cell and Gene Therapy Program.
I have particular expertise in a disorder called X-linked adrenoleukodystrophy (ALD). ALD mainly affects males and impairs the body’s ability to break down certain fats. In general, this leads to disease of the adrenal glands, degeneration of the spinal cord, and in 40 percent of cases a fatal brain disease of childhood called cerebral ALD (cALD). The only effective treatment for cALD is a stem cell transplant before the disease becomes too advanced. I conduct research focused on gene therapy for cALD and other leukodystrophies. I am also investigating advanced neuroimaging techniques to identify which patients with X-linked ALD are most appropriate for stem cell transplantation before they develop symptoms.
I believe in a multidisciplinary approach to care, which is a team effort between the patient, physicians, parents, social workers, nutritionists, pediatric subspecialists, and mental health professionals as needed. Our team aims to connect patients and families with patient advocacy groups and research opportunities to make accurate diagnoses, strengthen support networks, and develop effective treatments for these often-devastating neurological diseases of childhood.
A pediatric neurologist is a doctor with special training in the brain, spinal cord, peripheral nerves, and muscles. They treat children and adolescents.
- Lysosomal Storage Disorders
- MD, Temple University School of Medicine
- MBE, Master of Bioethics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
- Pediatrics and Child Neurology - NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center
Awards and Honors
- Neurological Sciences Academic Development Award, NIH-NINDS K12 Physician Scientist Award Program (2017-2020)
- Chief Resident, Child Neurology, NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center (2016-2017)
- Bioethics and Humanity Award, Temple University School of Medicine Center for Bioethics, Urban Health, and Policy (2012)
- American Academy of Neurology Medical Student Prize for Excellence in Neurology (2012)
- Charles Schnall Academic Leadership Scholarship Award, Temple University School of Medicine (2011)
- Arrupe Academic Scholarship, The University of Scranton (2004-2008)
- Eagle Scout, Boy Scouts of America (2001)
- Post-Doctoral Research Fellowship - Massachusetts General Hospital Center for Rare Neurological Diseases/Harvard Medical School
- Neurology with Special Qualifications in Child Neurology
Understanding your insurance options is an important part of managing your cancer care. We have relationships with many common healthcare providers and plans.
Contact and Location
Doctors at Memorial Sloan Kettering work as teams, with specialists from all different areas. This allows us to consider all your needs together, and to give you the best possible care.
Memorial Sloan Kettering's doctors and scientists are constantly developing new treatments for cancer. MSK is typically running hundreds of clinical trials at a given time.
You may be able to participate in a clinical trial even if you are new to MSK. Search our online directory to find trial information and see more about who can participate.
Your trust is our main concern
We strive to keep reviews trustworthy, honest and fair. Learn more about our patient experience reviews.