This information explains the role of advanced practice providers (APPs).
During your care at Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), you will be seen by APPs. They are healthcare providers who have specialized training and work alone or with your doctor to care for you. Some examples of APPs include:
- Nurse practitioners (NPs)
- Physician assistants (PAs)
- Certified registered nurse anesthetists (CRNAs)
Your APP’s Role on Your Healthcare Team
Sometimes you will be seen by your APP instead of your doctor. Your APP can give you some of the same care as your doctor, including:
- Talk with you about your medical, family, and social history.
- Give you a physical exam.
- Order medical tests, such as x-rays, scans, and blood tests.
- Do medical procedures, such as biopsies and inserting central lines.
- Review your test results with you.
- Help plan your treatment.
- Prescribe medications.
- Help you manage side effects of your treatment.
- Help you with caring for yourself before and after your surgery.
- Help you with your anesthesia care (medication to make you sleep during surgery).
- Recommend screening tests for other cancers.
- Look for signs of cancer recurrence (cancer coming back).
- Give you information and counseling about living a healthy lifestyle (such as dieting, exercising, and quitting smoking).
- Give you a referral to see another healthcare provider, if needed.