This information explains how to collect a urine (pee) sample using the clean catch urine collection method. Using this method helps keep germs on the skin around your urinary opening (the hole where urine leaves your body) from getting into the urine sample.
A staff member will give you a urine collection kit. The kit has:
- 1 urine cup
- 1 Castile soap wipe
- 3 benzalkonium chloride (BZK) cleansing wipes
- 1 plastic bag
- Wash your hands with soap and water. Dry them with a paper towel.
- Open the urine cup without touching the inside. If you accidentally touch the inside of the cup or lid, please ask for a new one.
- Open the Castile soap wipe and all 3 BZK wipes. Keep them in their wrappers for now.
- Pull your foreskin (the skin around the tip of your penis) away from your urinary opening, if needed. Use your non-dominant hand (the hand you don’t write with).
- Use the Castile soap wipe to clean the head of your penis (see Figure 1).
- Use the 3 BZK cleansing wipes (1 at a time) to clean the head of your penis, including around your urinary opening at the tip of your penis.
- Start urinating into the toilet or commode (see Figure 2). Don’t collect the first part of your urine stream.
- Without stopping your urine stream, urinate into the urine cup until it’s half full (see Figure 3). Finish urinating in the toilet or commode.
- Tightly screw the lid onto the urine cup. Don’t touch the inside of the lid or cup or the yellow sticker.
- Wash your hands. Give the urine cup to the staff member.
If you have any questions, talk with a member of your healthcare team.