This information explains your iHealth pulse oximeter and how to use it.
A pulse oximeter is a device you place on your finger. It measures your blood oxygen level (how much oxygen is in your blood) and pulse rate (how fast your heart is beating). These measurements show how well oxygen is getting to different areas of your body.
Your iHealth pulse oximeter records your results in your iHealth account. If you linked your iHealth account to your MyMSK (MSK patient portal) account, it will automatically send your results to your MSK healthcare provider. This will help them make decisions about your care while you’re at home. For instructions for linking your iHealth account to your MyMSK account, read the resource How to Set Up Your iHealth® Pulse Oximeter.Back to top
How to Use Your iHealth Pulse Oximeter
Follow your healthcare provider’s instructions for how often to use your iHealth pulse oximeter.
If you aren’t using the iHealth MyVitals app, your results won’t be automatically recorded or sent to your healthcare provider. Follow steps 2 and 3 below.
- Open the iHealth MyVitals app. Tap the app on your smartphone or tablet (see Figure 1).
- Clip your pulse oximeter on your finger. Pinch one end of your pulse oximeter so the other end opens slightly. Hold your other hand so your palm faces toward you. Then, clip your pulse oximeter onto your index (pointer), middle, or ring finger with the display facing toward you (see Figure 3). Make sure your finger is clean and you aren’t wearing nail polish or artificial (such as gel or acrylic) nails.
- Start measuring. Press the button on your pulse oximeter to start measuring. It will show your blood oxygen level (SpO2%) and pulse rate (PRbpm). Keep your hand still while it’s measuring.
- If you aren’t using the iHealth MyVitals app, write down your blood oxygen level, the date, and the time. Follow your healthcare provider’s instructions for telling them your results.
- Check the iHealth MyVitals app. Make sure your results are showing on the iHealth MyVitals app (see Figure 4). If they aren’t, try moving your pulse oximeter to a different finger and pressing the button again.
- Unclip your pulse oximeter from your finger. Once your results appear on the app, you can unclip your pulse oximeter from your finger.
- Review your results. The iHealth MyVitals app will show a summary of your results (see Figure 5). If you connected your iHealth account to your MyMSK account, your results will automatically be sent to your MSK healthcare provider.
If your blood oxygen level is less than the number your healthcare provider told you to look out for, call them right away. If you’re part of MSK’s COVID-19 Management Program, call 914-367-7940 instead.
If you need help with your iHealth pulse oximeter, call your healthcare provider’s office. If you’re part of MSK’s COVID-19 Management Program, call 914-367-7940 instead.Back to top