Options Conceptrol [OTC]; Options Gynol II Contraceptive [OTC]; Shur-Seal Contraceptive [OTC]; Today Sponge [OTC]; VCF Vaginal Contraceptive [OTC]
- It is used to prevent pregnancy.
- If you have an allergy to nonoxynol 9 or any other part of this drug.
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you or your partner has HIV infection.
- If you are pregnant or may be pregnant. Do not use this drug if you are pregnant.
- If you have given birth less than 6 weeks ago.
- If you have ever had toxic shock syndrome.
- If you are on your period.
- If you have a sulfite allergy, talk with your doctor.
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this drug. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- This drug does not stop the spread of diseases like HIV or hepatitis that are passed through blood or having sex. Do not have any kind of sex without using a latex or polyurethane condom. Do not share needles or other things like toothbrushes or razors. Talk with your doctor.
- This drug may cause harm if swallowed. If this drug is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- If you are pregnant or you get pregnant while taking this drug, call your doctor right away.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Vaginal irritation.
- Trouble passing urine.
- Pain when passing urine.
- Bad-smelling vaginal discharge.
- If your sex partner has irritation of the penis, trouble passing urine, or pain when passing urine.
- Belly pain.
- Toxic shock syndrome (TSS) has happened with this drug. TSS is rare, but can be very bad and sometimes deadly. Tell your doctor right away if you have diarrhea, dizziness or light-headedness, passing out, fever, muscle pain, upset stomach, throwing up, or a sunburn-like rash.
- Follow how to use as you have been told by the doctor or read the package insert.
- Do not take this drug by mouth. For vaginal use only. Keep out of your mouth, nose, and eyes (may burn).
- Wash your hands before and after use.
- Put in before you have sex as you have been told.
- If you want to douche, wait at least 6 hours after last intercourse.
- Do not leave in longer than you have been told.
- Do not reuse the same sponge.
- Remove the sponge before douching.
- Be sure your hands are dry before you touch this drug.
- This drug is used on an as needed basis. Do not use more often than told by the doctor.
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
- Protect from heat or open flame. Do not puncture or burn even if it seems empty.
- Protect from heat.
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else’s drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. If you have any questions about this drug, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.