This information will explain screening mammograms at Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), and how to schedule one.
Screening mammograms at MSK are for females without any breast symptoms. Females of any cancer risk level are eligible for screening mammograms, but they must meet the conditions listed in the “Eligibility for the Screening Mammogram” section.
If you do have symptoms, such as breast lumps or discharge from your breasts, tell your doctor. You may be able to get a diagnostic mammogram to evaluate your symptoms.Back to top
Eligibility for a Screening Mammogram
- You have no issues with your breasts, such as a lump, nipple discharge, or pain.
- Your most recent mammogram, ultrasound, or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) was either negative or had benign (not cancerous) results.
- You haven’t been breastfeeding for the past 6 weeks.
- You haven’t been treated for breast cancer in the past 5 years.
Scheduling Your Screening Mammogram
- If your MSK doctor is ordering your mammogram, their office will schedule it for you. You can also call 646-227-3700 to make an appointment.
- If your doctor outside of MSK is ordering your mammogram, ask your doctor to first fax the prescription with their name, address, and phone number to 646-227-7259. Then call us to schedule at 833-376-1194. We can’t do a mammogram without this prescription, so you may want to also bring a copy of it to your appointment.
- If you had mammograms done at another facility, ask them to send us a CD of your imaging exams before your appointment. This will let us compare your new results to your previous ones. Please contact the MSK location where you’re scheduled to have your mammogram for mailing instructions.
- If you need any additional tests after your screening mammogram, such as more mammographic views or an ultrasound, we will contact you.