This information will explain screening mammograms at Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK).
Screening mammograms at MSK are for females without any breast cancer symptoms. Females of any risk level are eligible for Screening Mammograms, as long as they meet the criteria listed below in the “Eligibility for the Screening Mammogram” section.
If you do have symptoms, such as breast lumps or discharge, tell your doctor. You may be eligible for a diagnostic mammogram.
Eligibility for a Screening Mammogram
- You have no symptoms of breast cancer, such as a lump, nipple discharge, or pain in your breasts.
- Your most recent mammogram, ultrasound, or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of your breast, was either negative or had benign (not cancerous) results.
- You are not pregnant and have not been pregnant in the past 3 months.
- You have not been breastfeeding for the past 6 weeks.
- If you have been diagnosed with breast cancer in the past, at least 5 years have passed since you had surgery for it.
Scheduling Your Screening Mammogram
- If your MSK doctor is ordering your mammogram, their office will schedule it for you. You can also call 646-227-3700 to make an appointment.
- If your doctor outside of MSK is ordering your mammogram, please call us to schedule at 833-376-1194. Ask your doctor to fax the prescription with their name, address and phone number to 646-227-7259 before you call to schedule. We cannot perform a mammogram without this prescription, so you may want to also bring a copy of it to your appointment.
- If you had earlier mammograms done at another facility, ask them to send us a CD with your results before your appointment. This will allow us to be able to compare your new results to your previous ones. Please contact the MSK location where you are scheduled to have your mammogram for mailing instructions.
- If you need any additional tests after your screening mammogram, such as more mammographic views or an ultrasound, we will let you know.