This information will explain the Screening Mammography Program at Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), including eligibility and what to expect when you have your mammogram in this program.
The Screening Mammography Program at MSK is a breast cancer screening program for females without any symptoms. Females of any risk level are eligible to be in it, as long as they meet the criteria listed below in the “Eligibility for the Screening Program” section. If you do have symptoms, such as breast lumps or discharge, notify your doctor. You may be eligible for our diagnostic mammography program.
Eligibility for the Screening Program
- You have no symptoms of breast cancer, such as a lump or nipple discharge.
- Your most recent mammogram, ultrasound, or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), was either negative or had benign (not cancerous) results.
- You are not pregnant and have not been pregnant in the past 3 months.
- You have not been breastfeeding for the past 6 weeks.
- It has been at least 5 years since you had surgery for breast cancer.
What to Expect in the Screening Program
- Appointments last about 30 minutes. We are open Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm, as well as on the third Saturday of each month from 8:00 am to 1:00 pm. In most cases, you can make an appointment within 1 to 2 business days.
- Your mammogram will be reviewed by at least 2 radiologists. This has been shown to have more accurate results.
- You and your doctor will receive your results by mail a few days after your visit. If you have an MSK doctor, your reports will be available in your electronic medical record.
- Most women will not need to return for more tests. If you do need additional tests, such as more mammographic views or an ultrasound, we will call you to schedule another appointment. You will receive the results of additional tests on the same day as your return appointment.
- You will receive reminder letters to schedule your annual mammogram.
Scheduling Your Screening Mammogram
- If your MSK doctor is ordering your mammogram, his or her office will schedule it for you. You can also call 646-227-3700 to make an appointment.
- If your doctor outside of MSK is ordering your mammogram, we will need a prescription. Ask your doctor to fax the prescription with his or her name, address and phone number to 646-227-7259 before you call to schedule. We cannot perform a mammogram without this prescription, so you may want to also bring a copy of it to your appointment.
Where to Go
On the day of your appointment, go to: