- It is used to treat heartburn and upset stomach.
- It is used to treat high acid levels in the blood.
- It is used to lower acid levels in the urine.
- It is used to replace bicarbonate loss caused by very bad loose stools (diarrhea).
- It may be given to your child for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
- If your child has an allergy to this drug or any part of this drug.
- If your child is allergic to any drugs like this one or any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell the doctor about the allergy and what signs your child had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If your child has any of these health problems: Low acid levels, low calcium levels, or low chloride levels.
- Tell all of your child’s health care providers that your child is taking this drug. This includes your child’s doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- If your child is on a low-salt or salt-free diet, talk with your child’s doctor.
- Do not give this drug to your child for longer than you were told by the doctor.
If your child is pregnant or breast-feeding a baby:
- Talk with the doctor if your child is pregnant, becomes pregnant, or is breast-feeding a baby. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using this drug.
- This drug may prevent other drugs taken by mouth from getting into the body. If your child takes other drugs by mouth, you may need to give them at some other time than this drug. Talk with the doctor.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Muscle stiffness.
- Muscle spasm.
- Feeling irritable.
- Shortness of breath, a big weight gain, or swelling in the arms or legs.
- This drug may cause tissue damage if the drug leaks from the vein. Tell your child’s nurse if your child has any redness, burning, pain, swelling, blisters, skin sores, or leaking of fluid where the drug is going into your child’s body.
- Follow how to give this drug as you have been told by your child’s doctor. Do not give more than you were told to give.
- Have your child swallow whole or melt in water as you have been told.
- It is given as a shot into a vein.
- It is given as an infusion into a vein over a period of time after being added to fluids.
- If your child takes this drug on a regular basis, give a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your child’s next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your child’s normal time.
- Do not give 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times this drug is given on an as needed basis. Do not give to your child more often than told by the doctor.
- Call your child’s doctor to find out what to do.
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- If you need to store this drug at home, talk with your child’s doctor, nurse, or pharmacist about how to store it.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
- If your child’s symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your child’s doctor.
- Do not share your child’s drug with others and do not give anyone else’s drug to your child.
- Keep a list of all your child’s drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your child’s doctor.
- Talk with your child’s doctor before giving your child any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. If you have any questions about this drug, please talk with your child’s doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.