If your product has iron in it:If your product has iron in it:
- Accidental overdose of drugs that have iron in them is a leading cause of deadly poisoning in children younger than 6 years of age. Keep away from children. If this drug is taken by accident, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- It is used to help with some kinds of anemia.
- It is used to help growth and good health.
- It may be given to your child for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
- If your child has an allergy to this drug or any part of this drug.
- If your child is allergic to any drugs like this one or any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell the doctor about the allergy and what signs your child had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If your child is taking levodopa.
- If your child has too much iron in the body.
- If your child has certain types of anemia like pernicious anemia or hemolytic anemia.
- Tell all of your child’s health care providers that your child is taking this drug. This includes your child’s doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- This drug may affect certain lab tests. Tell all of your child’s health care providers and lab workers that your child takes this drug.
If your child is pregnant or breast-feeding a baby:
- Talk with the doctor if your child is pregnant, becomes pregnant, or is breast-feeding a baby. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using this drug.
All oral products:
- If your child is allergic to tartrazine, talk with your child’s doctor. Some products have tartrazine.
- Not all products are meant for use in children. Talk with the doctor.
- If your child has phenylketonuria (PKU), talk with your child’s doctor. Some products have phenylalanine.
- Very bad and sometimes deadly allergic reactions have rarely happened. Talk with your child’s doctor.
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- A burning, numbness, or tingling feeling that is not normal.
- Feeling tired or weak.
- Sweating a lot.
- Joint pain or swelling.
- Shortness of breath.
- Feeling full.
- Very upset stomach or throwing up.
- Black, tarry, or bloody stools.
- Very bad belly pain.
- Throwing up blood or throw up that looks like coffee grounds.
- Stomach cramps.
- Loose stools (diarrhea).
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Belly pain.
- Not hungry.
- Hard stools (constipation).
- Change in color of stool to green.
All oral products:
- Some drugs may need to be given with food or on an empty stomach. For some drugs, it does not matter. Check with your pharmacist about how to give this drug to your child.
- This drug may prevent other drugs taken by mouth from getting into the body. If you take other drugs by mouth, you may need to take them at some other time than this drug. Talk with your doctor.
- Have your child swallow whole. Do not let your child chew, break, or crush.
- Have your child let melt in the mouth. Water is not needed.
- Have your child chew well before swallowing.
All liquid products:
- Measure liquid doses carefully. Use the measuring device that comes with this drug. If there is none, ask the pharmacist for a device to measure this drug.
Sublingual (under the tongue):
- Shake well before use.
- Place under the tongue. Have your child hold there for 30 seconds before swallowing.
All other liquid products:
- Some of these drugs need to be shaken before use. Be sure you know if this product needs to be shaken before using it.
- It is given as a shot.
All oral products:
- Give a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your child’s next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your child’s normal time.
- Do not give 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Call your child’s doctor to find out what to do.
All oral products:
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from heat.
- Protect from light.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- If you need to store this drug at home, talk with your child’s doctor, nurse, or pharmacist about how to store it.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
- If your child’s symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your child’s doctor.
- Do not share your child’s drug with others and do not give anyone else’s drug to your child.
- Keep a list of all your child’s drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your child’s doctor.
- Talk with your child’s doctor before giving your child any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. If you have any questions about this drug, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.