MSK nurses and nursing support staff provide compassionate care for adult and pediatric patients as key members of teams with deep expertise and specialization. Our nurses are committed to advancing the understanding and treatment of cancer and help drive new guidelines and develop treatment discoveries. Our evidence-based approach is reflected in groundbreaking research by nurse scientists and clinical trial nurses who help lead one of the largest programs in the country.
We provide a comprehensive, award-winning program of continuing education that is dedicated to improving the care of all patients and helping each member of the MSK nursing team reach their potential.
Expertise in key specialty areas across the entire continuum of cancer care:
- Acute Care Nursing
- Critical Care Nursing
- Emergency Oncology Nursing
- Pediatric Nursing
- Perioperative Nursing
- Outpatient Nursing
- Clinical Trials Nursing
- Diagnostic Interventional and Procedural Nursing Services
Of more than 5,400 highly skilled nurses and nursing support staff:
- Nearly 100% earned a bachelor’s degree or more in Nursing
- Two-thirds are certified in their specialty or subspecialty
- One-quarter hold a master’s degree or higher
- More than 60 have a doctoral degree
- Nurses make up the largest group of staff at MSK
Recognitions and Honors
The Department of Nursing at MSK is recognized as one of the leaders in the field.
- Magnet recognition in 2020 and 2016 by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), the nation’s highest honor for excellence in nursing.
- ANCC Accreditation for Nurse Residency (PTAP)
- ANNC Accreditation for the Advanced Practice Provider Fellowship (APPFA) — the first such recognition in the country
- The Helene Fuld Excellence in Evidence-based Practice and Outcomes in Healthcare designation — the first such recognition in the country
- The Press Ganey Pinnacle of Excellence Award
The Nurse Residency Program provides our new graduate nurses with skills to transition from student nurses to registered professional oncology nurses.
Mentoring@MSK pairs MSK nurses of all kinds and career stages so they can gain an inside look at a different facet of the field.
SEEK, Our Evidence-based Practice Program helps inspire clinical inquiry and ensures our practice is always based on evidence.