To ensure greater access to cancer care for all New Yorkers and patients who come from around the globe, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (MSK) announced plans to build a new, state-of-the-art cancer care Pavilion on its main campus on the Upper East Side.
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) estimate that by 2050 the annual number of cancer cases in the United States will increase by nearly 50 percent as a result of the growing and aging population. At the same time, the incidence of several cancers – including colon, gastric, and breast – has been steadily rising in the younger population. These projections confirm the need MSK first identified in 2001 when it presented its long-term plan to New York City planning officials in conjunction with the approval of the Mortimer B. Zuckerman Research Center.
Cancer risk increases as people age. As life expectancy improves over the next century, the number of people who develop cancer will grow, and it is likely that patients who develop cancer will have more acute needs requiring more complex care. The new Pavilion will house advanced technology to help us better care for our patients on an inpatient basis with cutting-edge robotics, improved digital infrastructure, and enhanced operating/procedure suites that MSK’s current facilities cannot accommodate.
Located on York Avenue between East 66th and 67th Street, the Pavilion will be devoted exclusively to patient care. The proposed 31-story building will feature 28 operating/procedure suites and approximately 200 inpatient beds. This expansion will support MSK’s continued efforts to address disparities in access to cancer care for medically underserved communities and will be designed to address the evolving cancer care needs over the next century. As envisioned, the building will be LEED Certified and connected to Memorial Hospital via a patient bridge.
Tuesday, March 28, 2023,
- Community Board 8 Zoning & Development Committee Meeting: Informational presentation by MSK to share plans for a new state of the art cancer care facility for acutely ill patients on MSK’s main campus.
Thursday, April 20, 2023,
- Community Board 8 Task Force #1: Deep Dive into Necessity and Program Response. Presentation by MSK surgical and nursing leaders on the purposes and functions of the new MSK Pavilion and plan for addressing questions raised at the Zoning and Development Committee Meeting on March 28, 2023
Thursday, April 27, 2023,
Thursday, May 4, 2023,
- Community Board 8 Task Force #2: Architectural Response to Program Requirements
- View the presentation
Thursday, May 18, 2023,
Thursday, June 29, 2023,
Thursday, July 6, 2023,
2001 Rezoning Approvals
Included here are the reports associated with the 2001 approvals of the Large Scale Community Facilities Development and the R9 midblock zoning map amendments to facilitate the Phase I Zuckerman Research Center and the Phase II proposed Inpatient Hospital Building (now referred to as the MSK Pavilion).
- 01DCP050M_Notice_of Completion_FEIS
- 130-01-BZ 12 04 2001
- 130-01-BZ Approved Plans (19 sheets)
- 2001 12 11 LS Correction RD (1462-5; 1463-5,11 Phase II)_reel.3409 page.1438
- 2001 12 19 RD (lot 5 in block 1462 floor area)_reel.3413 page.1860
- 010547 ZMM
- 010548 ZSM
- 010549 ZAM DOB letter 8 7 2002
- CC Legislation Details Res 2193-2001 re 010547 ZMM
- CC Legislation Details Res 2194-2001 re 010548 ZSM
- CC Legislation Text Res 2193-2001 re 010547 ZMM
- CC Legislation Text Res 2194-2001 re 010548 ZSM
- MSKCC Rezoning FEIS Nov 2001