The Physical Therapy Oncology Residency Program at Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK) is an 18-month intensive program providing post-professional didactic and clinical training to physical therapists seeking to develop advanced clinical skills and knowledge in the treatment of individuals with oncologic diagnoses across the continuum of care. Emphasis is placed on developing a solid foundation in understanding the principles of oncology rehabilitation based on available best evidence and best practice. The program aims to prepare the resident to synthesize and apply advanced knowledge, clinical skills, evidence-based practice and critical inquiry in the evaluation and treatment of patients with cancer, while addressing patients’ rehabilitative needs resulting from cancer and cancer treatments in both the acute care and outpatient setting.
The MSK Physical Therapy Oncology residency runs for 9 months in the acute care setting at Memorial Hospital, followed by a 9-month rotation in the outpatient setting at the Sillerman Center for Rehabilitation. This program includes:
- Approximately 28 hours of patient care per week. Patient care days/hours will vary Monday through Friday, 7:45a-7:00p, with possible Saturday or Sunday shifts depending on clinical site. Schedules are subject to change depending on the service and clinic operational needs.
- Eight to 10 hours of didactic instruction per week based on key oncology knowledge areas presented through various learning experiences.
- One-on-one clinical mentorship from an experienced oncology physical therapist for 2-3 hours per week
Length of Program
- 18 months, approximately July 29th, 2019 to December 11th, 2020
Applicants for this program must be:
- Graduates of an accredited program in Physical Therapy or equivalent through the Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy.
- A licensed Physical Therapist (PT) in the state of New York or be eligible for a New York State PT license by the beginning of the residency.
- Members of the American Physical Therapy Association, including Oncology Academy
- BCLS certified
- Interested in furthering professional development in oncology rehabilitation.
- Competent in self-directed learning needed to complete all program coursework, examinations, projects, and paperwork within designated timeframe.
Number of Positions
May 10, 2019
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit the following:
- Online application (including $125.00 electronic application fee)
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- 3 references letters, including 2 management-level or academic professor references
All application documents should be submitted electronically in PDF format to email@example.com. Please include applicant’s full name in subject line. Applications will not be reviewed until all documents are received.