Memorial Hospital Research Laboratories
The Adriana Haimovitz-Friedman Lab
The focus of my laboratory is to understand how SDRT can initiate an innate response in the local tumor and also contribute to initiation of a response in distant tumors (Abscopal/Adscopal like effects).
In addition, we use combination of SDRT and chemotherapeutic drugs with short acting anti-angiogenic agents, which result in improved tumor response with less overall toxicity.
Wang F, Li H, Markovsky E, Glass R, de Stanchina E, Powell SN, Schwartz GK, Haimovitz-Friedman A. Pazopanib radio-sensitization of human sarcoma tumors. Oncotarget. 2018 Feb 6;9(10):9311. doi: 10.18632/oncotarget.24281. eCollection 2018 Feb 6.
van Hell AJ, Haimovitz-Friedman A, Fuks Z, Tap WD, Kolesnick R. Gemcitabine kills proliferating endothelial cells exclusively via acid sphingomyelinase activation. Cell Signal. 2017 Feb 24; 34:86-91. doi: 10.1016/j.cellsig.2017.02.021. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 28238856. DOI: 10.1016/j.cellsig.2017.02.021
Mizrachi A, Shamay Y, Shah J, Brook S, Soong J, Rajasekhar VK, Humm JL, Healey JH, Powell SN, Baselga J, Heller DA, Haimovitz-Friedman A, Scaltriti M. Tumour-specific PI3K inhibition via nanoparticle-targeted delivery in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Nat Commun. 2017 Feb 13;8:14292. doi: 10.1038/ncomms14292. PMID: 28194032.
Jacobi J, Garcia-Barros M, Rao S, Rotolo JA, Thompson C, Mizrachi A, Manova K, Fuks Z, Kolesnick R, Haimovitz-Friedman A. Targeting acid sphingomyelinase with anti-angiogenic chemotherapy. Cell Signal. 2016 Oct 1. pii: S0898-6568(16)30236-4. doi: 10.1016/j.cellsig.2016.09.010. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 27702691
Mizrachi A, Cotrim AP, Katabi N, Mitchel JB, Verheij M, Haimovitz-Friedman A. Radiation-induced microvascular injury as a mechanism of salivary gland hypofunction and potential target for radioprotectors. Radiat Res. 2016 Aug; 186(2):189-95. doi: 10.1667/RR14431.1. PMID: 27459704
Adriana Haimovitz-Friedman, PhD
- Optimizing the use of Single high Dose Radiation Therapy (SDRT) in pre-clinical studies to activate innate immune signaling pathways, potentially leading to adaptive immune responses within the local tumors and in distant ones, i.e eliciting Adscopal and/or Abscopal effects.
- [email protected]
- Email Address
- (646) 888-2172
- Office Phone
- Our Laboratory was the first to discover that radiation can induced damage to the plasma membrane of the endothelial cells, which resulted in a paradigm shift in the treatments of radiation and introduced the Single high Dose Radiation therapy, SDRT, in the clinic, which results in cures for those tumors that are otherwise non-responders to conventional fractionated radiation therapy.
- We found the optimal timing to combine SDRT with anti-angiogenics and with chemotherapy.
- For both prostate and breast cancers, ATM down regulation can radiosensitize via a specific signal transduction pathway involving de novo ceramide generation.
- Radiation-induced acute blood-brain barrier disruption is mediated by the acid sphingomyelinase (ASMase) pathway, a major contribution to the radiation and brain drug delivery field.
- Mice suffering from sepsis can be rescued by protecting the microvasculature.
- Mice are protected from Radiation-induced gastrointestinal syndrome by protecting the microvasculature via inhibition of the ASMase/Ceramide pathway.
Get in Touch
Lab Head Email
Doctors and faculty members often work with pharmaceutical, device, biotechnology, and life sciences companies, and other organizations outside of MSK, to find safe and effective cancer treatments, to improve patient care, and to educate the health care community.
MSK requires doctors and faculty members to report (“disclose”) the relationships and financial interests they have with external entities. As a commitment to transparency with our community, we make that information available to the public.
Adriana Haimovitz-Friedman discloses the following relationships and financial interests:
Intellectual Property Rights
The information published here is for a specific annual disclosure period. There may be differences between information on this and other public sites as a result of different reporting periods and/or the various ways relationships and financial interests are categorized by organizations that publish such data.
This page and data include information for a specific MSK annual disclosure period (January 1, 2021 through disclosure submission in spring 2022). This data reflects interests that may or may not still exist. This data is updated annually.
Learn more about MSK’s COI policies here. For questions regarding MSK’s COI-related policies and procedures, email MSK’s Compliance Office at [email protected].