Full TitleMemorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center Pancreatic Tumor Registry
There are both environmental and inherited risk factors that lead to the development of pancreatic cancer that have not yet been identified. In order to help define these risk factors, investigators at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center have developed a Pancreatic Tumor Registry that is focused both on patients with pancreatic cancer and on individuals with a strong family history of this disease.
The purpose of the registry is fourfold:
- To develop a registry of individuals at high risk for pancreatic cancer.
- To study lifestyle and other exposures that may be related to the development of pancreatic cancer.
- To find out whether it is feasible to follow people with an increased risk of pancreatic cancer, and to examine them at regular intervals (using specialized imaging techniques) to see if they develop pancreatic cancer or early precancerous lesions.
- To collect specimens from patients with pancreatic cancer and their family members to identify genetic risk factors for this disease.
To be eligible for this study, patients must meet several criteria, including but not limited to the following:
- Patients with pancreatic cancer may participate in the study if they have one or more first-degree relatives with pancreatic cancer; have two or more second-degree relatives with pancreatic cancer; have certain genetic syndromes; or were age 45 or younger at the time of their pancreatic cancer diagnosis. When investigators identify patients who have a family history of pancreatic cancer, they will ask for permission to contact their relatives for the surveillance part of the study.
- People without pancreatic cancer are eligible for the surveillance portion of the study if they have two or more first-degree relatives with pancreatic cancer on the same side of the family, or have certain genetic syndromes and any first- or second-degree relatives with pancreatic cancer.
For more information and to see if you are eligible for this study, please use our online form to tell us something about your family’s history with pancreatic cancer. Once we receive the form, we will contact you regarding your participation in the study.