I am a physician-scientist focused on researching and treating blood and bone marrow cancers, including acute myeloid leukemia and the chronic myeloproliferative neoplasms polycythemia vera, essential thrombocytosis, and primary myelofibrosis.
Taking care of leukemia patients during my residency and fellowship inspired my interest in the disease. I saw that while our treatments could be quite effective the first go-round, many leukemia patients relapse. That got me thinking about how we could better understand why leukemia develops and how we could create new, targeted treatments to improve outcomes.
When I am not running my research lab (more information on that here), I treat people with leukemia on an inpatient basis. I do approximately 30 procedures a year, most of which are bone marrow biopsies.
Most people feel overwhelmed when they are first diagnosed, so our job is to give them the information they need and to show them that a whole team of experts is here to help them through the process. My hope is that patients leave our interactions feeling empowered and hopeful.
Outside of work, I love spending time with my family, playing tennis and squash, and rooting for the New York Mets!
Read more Read less
- Clinical Expertise: Leukemias, Myeloproliferative Neoplasms
- Awards and Honors: Pershing Square Sohn Prize for Cancer Research (2014), Laurence Joseph Dineen Chair in Leukemia Research (2013), Leukemia and Lymphoma Society Scholar (2012), Boyer Award for Clinical Research, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (2011), Howard Hughes Medical Institute Early Career Award (2007), American Society of Hematology Basic Research Fellow Award (2006), American Society of Clinical Oncology Young Investigator Award (2006), American Society of Hematology 2016 Scientific Program co-chair Medical and Scientific Advisory Board, Leukemia and Lymphoma Society
- Languages Spoken: English
- Education: MD, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Residencies: Internal Medicine - Massachusetts General Hospital
- Fellowships: Hematology/Medical Oncology - Dana Farber Cancer Institute/Partners Cancer Care
- Board Certifications: Internal Medicine; Hematology; Medical Oncology
Most major health insurers offer plans that include MSK as one of their in-network providers. If MSK is in-network, it means all our doctors are too. Medicaid and New York State Medicare also provide benefits for care at MSK.Learn more
Research is integral to our mission at Memorial Sloan Kettering, and clinical trials help us discover better forms of patient care and treatment. For you, this could mean access to a new therapy or therapy combination. Click to see a list of the trials I’m currently leading.
Read more Read less
Clinical Trials Co-Investigated by Ross L. Levine
- A Phase IB/II Study of AG-221 Alone and with Chemotherapy in Older Patients Newly Diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia
- A Phase IB/II Study of Entospletinib Alone and with Chemotherapy in Older Patients Newly Diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia
- A Phase IB/II Study of Samalizumab plus Standard Chemotherapy in Patients 60 and Older with Newly Diagnosed Acute Myeloid Leukemia
- A Phase II Study of Entospletinib and Decitabine in Older Patients with Newly Diagnosed Acute Myeloid Leukemia
- A Phase II Study of Entospletinib in NPM1-Mutant Acute Myeloid Leukemia in Patients Over Age 60