- Do not give to a child younger than 18 years of age. This drug may cause harm if given to a child. Talk with the doctor.
- It is used to treat irritable bowel syndrome.
- It is used to treat hard stools (constipation).
- If you have an allergy to linaclotide or any other part of this drug.
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have a bowel block.
- Tell dentists, surgeons, and other doctors that you use this drug.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using this drug while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Black, tarry, or bloody stools.
- Very loose stools (diarrhea).
- Swelling of belly.
- Very bad belly pain.
- Loose stools (diarrhea).
- Belly pain.
- Take on an empty stomach.
- Take with a full glass of water at least 30 minutes before the first food, drink, or drugs of the day.
- Swallow capsule whole. Do not chew, break, or crush.
- If you have trouble swallowing, you may mix this drug with applesauce or water. Follow how to mix as you have been told or read the package insert. If you are not sure how to mix this drug, call your doctor or pharmacist.
- If mixed, swallow the mixed drug right away. Do not store for use at a later time.
- Do not chew the mixture.
- Those who have feeding tubes may use this drug. Use as you have been told. Flush the feeding tube after this drug is given.
- Skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in the original container. Do not take out the antimoisture cube or packet.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to throw out unused drugs.
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else’s drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. If you have any questions about this drug, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
If you have any questions or concerns, talk with a member of your healthcare team. You can reach them Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm at ____________________. After 5:00 pm, during the weekend, and on holidays, please call____________________. If there’s no number listed, or you’re not sure, call 212-639-2000.
Linaclotide©2016 Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center - Generated on February 13, 2016