This information describes what you can expect during your surgery at Memorial Sloan Kettering’s (MSK) Monmouth facility.
Read this before your surgery and refer to it on the day of your surgery so that you know what to do and what to expect. Remember to also review the educational resources your nurse gave you.
About MSK Monmouth
MSK Monmouth is a state of the art ambulatory care and surgery center. Your care there will be based on your surgery and designed specifically for you. We will talk with you and your caregiver so that you’ll both know what to expect at every step. You and your caregiver will play an active role during your time at MSK Monmouth and at home.Back to top
Before Your Surgery
Plan for your caregiver to come to MSK Monmouth with you on the day of your surgery. Even if you don’t have a caregiver with you, you must have a responsible care partner take you home.Back to top
The Day of Your Surgery
- Your prescription card, if you would like to have your prescriptions filled at MSK Monmouth.
MSK Monmouth is located at 480 Red Hill Road, Middletown, NJ 07748. It’s easily accessible off the Garden State Parkway.
Follow the signs for the Lower Concourse when you enter the parking lot.
There is free parking by the Lower Concourse entrance, with additional parking to the right of the entrance. Free valet parking is also available.
- Go through the Lower Concourse entrance. You will be directed to the surgical check-in area on the 2nd floor.
- We will ask you for the name and contact information of the person who will take you home when your surgery is finished.
- After you check-in, a member of your healthcare team will bring you and your caregiver into the pre-surgical center.
- You will meet with your healthcare team who will review your medical history and answer any questions you may have.
- While you wait for your surgery to begin, up to 2 of your visitors will be able to wait here with you.
- Your nurse will bring you to the operating room when it’s time for your surgery.
- While you’re in the operating room, your visitors will wait in the surgical check-in area on the 2nd floor.
Information for Caregivers and Visitors
Back to top
After Your Surgery
A member of your healthcare team will take you to your private recovery room. When you’re ready, we will bring your caregiver and other visitors to your room. During your stay, up to 2 visitors can visit you at a time in your recovery room.
When you’re awake, your nurse will help you get ready to go home. They will:
- Encourage you to walk.
- Give you something to eat and drink.
- Review your discharge instructions with you and your caregiver.
- Answer any questions you may have.
You can then go home with your caregiver. If your healthcare team feels you need to stay overnight, you will be taken to a Meridian Health facility.
The day after you go home, a member of your healthcare team will call you to see how you’re feeling and answer any questions.Back to top