This information explains how to set up and use your Fitbit (activity tracker) to track your steps, sleep, and exercise.
Your doctor would like you to use a Fitbit to track your steps, sleep, and exercise for 30 days after you leave the hospital. This device can let your healthcare team see if your activity level improves your health.
Please view these instructions on how to setup and take readings using your Fitbit. If you have any questions, please call your healthcare provider.
How to set up your Fitbit Charge 5
- Download the Fitbit app from the iOS or Google Play Store (see Figure 1).
- Log in to your Fitbit account or Select “Join Fitbit” to create a new account (see Figures 2 and 3).
- Select your profile icon from the top left-hand corner of your Fitbit app homepage (see Figure 4.).
- Select “Set Up a Device.”
- Select “Charge 5” (see Figures 5 and 6).
- Select “Set Up.”
- Connect your Fitbit Charge 5 watch to its charger and select “Next.”
- The app will begin searching for the Fitbit Charge 5 watch (see Figures 9 and 10).
- Enter the 4-digit code displayed on your Charge 5 activity tracker screen into the Fitbit app.
- Select “Pair” (see Figures 11 and 12).
- Select your notification preference.
- Select “Not Now” (see Figures 13 and 14).
- Follow the instructions in your Fitbit app to get familiar with your Charge 5 activity tracker features. Select “Next.”
- Read the instructions on how to wake up your activity tracker. Select “Next” (see Figures 15 and 16).
- Read the navigation instructions. Select “Next.”
- Select “Next” (see Figures 17 and 18).
- Read the wear and care tips. Select “Next.”
- Your watch has been set up and is now ready for use. Select “Done” (see Figures 19 and 20).
- Fitbit offers a premium subscription that you do not need for your care at MSK. Select the “X” in the upper right-hand corner to remove the offer from your screen (see Figure 21).
How to start and stop an exercise
- On Charge 5, swipe left or right to the Exercise app, then swipe up to find an exercise.
- Tap the exercise to choose it. If the exercise uses GPS, you can wait for the signal to connect, or start the exercise and GPS will connect when a signal is available. (Note that GPS can take a few minutes to connect.)
- Tap the play icon to begin the exercise or swipe up to choose an exercise goal or adjust the settings.
- Tap the middle of the screen to scroll through your real-time stats. To pause your workout, swipe up and tap Pause.
- When you’re done with your workout, swipe up and tap Pause >Finish. Your workout summary appears.
- Swipe up and tap Done to close the summary screen.
How to set the time it takes to auto-detect an exercise
- Open the Fitbit app and scroll down and select the “Track your exercise” tile.
- Select the gear icon from the top right-hand corner (see Figures 22 and 23).
- Select the exercise tile to adjust the auto-recognize time.
- The Fitbit app defaults to 15 mins. Change it to 10 mins (see Figures 24 and 25).
- Once adjusted, click the back button and repeat for each exercise.
- Click “Done” after you have adjusted the auto-detect time for each exercise. The Charge 5 will now detect an exercise after 10 mins of activity (see Figures 26 and 27).