This information explains how to quickly treat low blood sugar (hypoglycemia).
If your blood sugar is below 70 mg/dL and you are awake and alert, follow the rule of 15/15:
- Take 15 grams of sugar
- Wait 15 minutes, then retest your blood sugar
Take 15 Grams of Sugar
Choose one of these options:
- Drink 4 ounces of orange juice or regular soda (not diet soda)
- Drink 8 ounces of milk
- Eat 4 large marshmallows
- Chew 6 to 8 Life Savers® (not mints)
- Chew 3 to 4 large glucose tabs
Do not eat chocolate or cookies when your blood sugar is below 70 mg/dL.
Wait 15 Minutes Then Retest Your Blood Sugar
If your blood sugar is less than 70 mg/dL when you retest, take another 15 grams of sugar. Retest 15 minutes later. Keep doing this until your blood sugar rises to 70 mg/dL or more.
When your blood sugar rises to 70 mg/dL or more, eat half of a sandwich and drink 4 ounces of milk or have your meal.
If you faint or become unconscious, someone must call 911 for an ambulance. Please tell your family and friends about low blood sugar and what to do if you feel faint.Back to top
Talk With Your Healthcare Provider
When you feel better, call your doctor. He or she may need to change your insulin or medication.
Try to figure out why your blood sugar was low. Ask yourself:
- Did I have too little food?
- Did I take too much insulin?
- Did I take my diabetes medication without eating?
- Did I get too much physical activity without eating enough?
One way to prevent low blood sugar is to avoid skipping meals. Speak with your healthcare provider about your diabetes management plan.Back to top