The treatment your doctor recommends will depend on what type of adrenal tumor you have. The following are the most common types of adrenal tumors.
- Incidentalomas Incidental adenomas of the adrenal gland — also called incidentalomas — are tumors that are found unexpectedly during an imaging test for an unrelated health problem.
- Aldosteronomas Aldosteronomas are a type of benign adrenal tumor that produces excess aldosterone. They are a common cause of Conn syndrome, also called hyperaldosteronism.
- Adrenal Cortex Tumors These tumors produce too much cortisol, a hormone that affects metabolism and helps the body recover from physical stress. Tumors of the adrenal cortex can cause a condition called Cushing’s syndrome.
- Pheochromocytomas & Paragangliomas Pheochromocytomas are adrenal tumors that produce excess catecholamines (epinephrine and norepinephrine).
- Adrenal Cortical Carcinoma Malignant (cancerous) tumors that arise in the adrenal cortex of the adrenal gland are called adrenal cortical carcinoma.