Your plastic surgeon uses skin, fat, and muscle from your upper back. Keeping the blood supply attached, the flap is passed through a tunnel under your skin to your chest to sculpt a new breast. LD back flap reconstruction is usually done in combination with a small breast implant or tissue expander because the back skin and muscle may not have sufficient volume for a full breast.
- Reconstructed breast looks natural
- Reconstructed breast ages naturally
- Reconstructed breast adjusts to weight gain and loss
Things to Consider
Not everyone is a candidate for this type of surgery. These are some of the factors that could prevent you from getting back flap reconstruction:
- Longer surgery time
- Longer recovery
- Scars elsewhere on the body
- Some medical co-morbidities where a longer surgery is not safe
- Active smoking
Who Should Get LD Flap Surgery?
LD flap is best for people who:
- Cannot have tissue taken from the abdomen
- Are willing to accept a longer initial recovery compared to implant only breast reconstruction
- Previously had radiation to the chest or breast
- Failed implant-based breast reconstruction
What to Expect with LD Flap Reconstruction
In general, the timeline for surgery and recovery varies from patient to patient.
- Hospital stay: 1 to 2 days
- Recovery: 3 to 6 weeks
- Hospital Stay: None (outpatient)
- Recovery: Minimal
Get the Support you need at MSK
MSK offers compassionate care from a team of experts oﬀering the latest breast reconstruction techniques. We’re here for you every step of the way, before, during, and after surgery.
Financial Services at MSK
Managing the cost of your cancer treatment can be stressful and diﬃcult. To speak with someone about your options, contact your Patient Access Coordinator (PAC).
Support & Helpful Resources
Your mental health is important, too. We offer many resources to help you through the emotional aspects of breast reconstruction.