Life in New York City
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center is located in an exciting, world-class city. New York City’s five boroughs are full of diverse neighborhoods, cultures, and cuisines as well as greenspace, art, theater, and so much more. New York City is also home to a rich scientific community, including many world-renowned hospitals in addition to our own, including New York Presbyterian-Weill Cornell Medical Center, Hospital for Special Surgery, and The Rockefeller University.
MSK offers housing to most incoming fellows near our main campus on New York City’s Upper East Side, a neighborhood that offers easy access to the subway — the best way to get around the city — the East River waterfront, Central Park, and excellent schools.
Some important notes regarding MSK housing:
MSK has a fixed supply of apartments available for house staff. The majority are studios and one-bedrooms with a very limited supply of two-bedrooms.
|2021 Rates||Monthly Rent|
|One Bedroom +||$2,616|
- Apartment size eligibility is determined by family size; family size is determined by the number of occupants who will be living with the trainee full-time to include spouses/partners and children only. Extended family, caretakers, and domestic employees are not included in determination of family size.
- The MSK Housing Office offers apartments based on availability; requests for specific properties, specific apartments, or multiple offerings cannot be accommodated.
- If trainees elect to find their own housing, MSK can designate a real estate broker service to help with the apartment search. Coordination with GME will be required, and any brokerage fees paid by MSK will be considered imputed income to the trainee. Only Housing Department-designated brokers can be used to qualify for reimbursable service.
- After you have been selected to join an MSK training program, your program coordinator will initiate the housing request process where you can specify your family size as well as presence of any pets.
- You will be notified of housing availability approximately two months prior to your expected start date once the Housing Office has reviewed all housing requests. Specific housing assignments will be provided approximately one month prior to your start date.