Our laboratory investigates the fundamental relationships between antigens and T cells in solid tumors. We are interested in understanding how the spectrum of cancer antigens modulate T cell phenotype, function, fate, and plasticity in human cancer. Our group has specifically focused on human pancreatic cancer, and has used immunologic, genomic, molecular, and computational techniques to identify T cell antigens in rare pancreatic cancer survivors, as a platform for novel biomarker and target discovery, and to uncover principles governing antigen-T cell interactions. Our primary objective is to deepen our understanding of T cell immunobiology in cancer, and to facilitate development of novel cancer vaccines and immunotherapies.
Vinod Balachandran, MD
Member, David. M Rubenstein Center for Pancreatic Cancer Research
Research FocusSurgeon scientist Vinod Balachandran investigates T cell immunobiology in pancreatic cancer.
EducationMD, State University of New York at Stony Brook
- Balachandran VP, Łuksza M, Zhao JN, Makarov V, Moral JA, Remark R, Herbst B, Askan G, Bhanot U, Senbabaoglu Y, Wells DK, Cary CIO, Grbovic-Huezo O, Attiyeh M, Medina B, Zhang J, Loo J, Saglimbeni J, Abu-Akeel M, Zappasodi R, Riaz N, Smoragiewicz M, Kelley ZL, Basturk O; Australian Pancreatic Cancer Genome Initiative; Gönen M, Levine AJ, Allen PJ, Fearon DT, Merad M, Gnjatic S, Iacobuzio-Donahue CA, Wolchok JD, DeMatteo RP, Chan TA, Greenbaum BD, Merghoub T, Leach SD. Identification of unique neoantigen qualities in long-term survivors of pancreatic cancer. Nature. 2017 Nov 8. doi: 10.1038/nature24462. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 29132146
- Łuksza M, Riaz N, Makarov V, Balachandran VP, Hellmann MD, Solovyov A, Rizvi NA, Merghoub T, Levine AJ, Chan TA, Wolchok JD, Greenbaum BD. A neoantigen fitness model predicts tumour response to checkpoint blockade immunotherapy. Nature. 2017 Nov 8. doi: 10.1038/nature24473. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 29132144
- Society of Immunotherapy for Cancer Presidential Award (2017)
- National Cancer Institute Cancer Moonshot Award (2017)
- Damon Runyon Clinical Investigator Award (2017)
- AACR/Pancreatic Cancer Action Network Career Development Award (2017)
- NCI Paul Calabresi Career Development Award (2016)