I am a surgeon with expertise in minimally invasive techniques for the treatment of urologic malignancies, including prostate cancer and kidney tumors. I have advanced skills in MRI image-guided procedures for the diagnosis and treatment of prostate cancer. I have a special interest in actively monitoring prostate cancer patients using state-of-the art imaging technology and in directing organ-sparing approaches for curative therapeutic interventions. I am dedicated to optimizing cure and preserving post-treatment function so patients can enjoy a long and optimal quality of life.
My research interests complement my clinical practice through development of promising new methods to diagnose, evaluate, and treat urologic malignancies. I am the lead investigator for a clinical trial evaluating MRI-guided focal therapy for prostate cancer. I am actively involved in Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center’s comprehensive active surveillance program for low-risk prostate cancer. My research in this program incorporates biomarkers and advanced imaging to detect cancer progression. My other research interests utilize the SEER-Medicare database to study treatment patterns, complications, and survival in urologic malignancies to better inform patients and improve clinical decision-making.
My philosophy is focused on service to patients and families and to integrated treatment plans tailored to each patient’s values.
- Clinical Expertise: Urologic Oncology (Prostate Cancer and Kidney Cancer): minimally invasive and robotic-assisted techniques; MRI image-guided diagnostic and therapeutic procedures
- Languages Spoken: English; Farsi
- Education: MD, Georgetown University School of Medicine; MPH, Harvard School of Public Health
- Residencies: University of Virginia Health System
- Fellowships: Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Board Certifications: Urology
Research is integral to our mission at Memorial Sloan Kettering, and clinical trials help us discover better forms of patient care and treatment. For you, this could mean access to a new therapy or therapy combination. Click to see a list of the trials I’m currently leading.