I am a head and neck cancer and skull base surgeon who specializes in caring for people with cancerous and noncancerous tumors of the head and neck and skull base. I perform about 200 procedures each year. I am dedicated to the pursuit of curing cancer and to giving my patients the best care and quality of life possible.
Read more Read less
The diseases I treat as part of the multidisciplinary skull base tumor team include skull base tumors such as sinus cancers, pituitary adenomas (tumors of the pituitary gland), meningiomas and craniopharyngiomas (brain tumors), and chordomas (tumors of the bones of the skull and spine). In addition, I treat patients with head and neck and thyroid cancer. As part of the MSK team, I work to use minimally invasive surgical techniques whenever possible.
When surgery is necessary, I work with neurosurgeons and fellow head and neck surgeons to remove tumors and to minimize damage to normal tissue. This helps us limit unwanted side effects of cancer treatment.
My research focuses on patients’ outcomes after treatment for head and neck and skull base tumors. I am specifically interested in studying quality of life following minimally invasive and endoscopic surgeries. I believe we need to focus on cancer treatments that offer the potential for the fewest possible side effects.
Having gone through significant medical challenges with my own family, I understand the importance of considering all aspects of a cancer diagnosis. Providers need to be sensitive to every issue that impacts patients. I hope that my patients see me as someone who cares about them and their families as people.
- Clinical Expertise: Skull Base Surgery; Head and Neck Surgery
- Awards and Honors: Robert Maxwell Byers Award for Most Influential Clinical Manuscript at American Head and Neck Society Meeting (2010); Malcom Schvey Award for Excellence in Teaching (2014); James Moore Clinical Scholar Award (2015)
- Languages Spoken: English
- Education: MD, University of Pennsylvania
- Residencies: Otolaryngology - Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
- Fellowships: Head and Neck Surgery and Reconstruction - Princess Margaret Cancer Centre
- Board Certifications: Head and Neck Surgery
Research is integral to our mission at Memorial Sloan Kettering, and clinical trials help us discover better forms of patient care and treatment. For you, this could mean access to a new therapy or therapy combination. Click to see a list of the trials I’m currently leading.
Read more Read less
Clinical Trials Led by Marc A. Cohen
Clinical Trials Co-Investigated by Marc A. Cohen
Most major health insurers offer plans that include MSK as one of their in-network providers. If MSK is in-network, it means all our doctors are too. Medicaid and New York State Medicare also provide benefits for care at MSK.Learn more