I am a surgeon who specializes in the treatment of breast cancer. For the past ten years, I have been involved as a co-investigator in clinical trials in Milan, Italy, to evaluate conservative surgery and sentinel-node mapping in breast cancer. In Italy, I served as Deputy Director of the Breast Department in the European Institute of Oncology, a leading institution for the study and treatment of breast cancer. I was also a clinical coordinator of the Italian Breast Cancer Chemoprevention Study of Tamoxifen and a clinical investigator in breast cancer trials for the European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer (EORTC).
At Memorial Sloan Kettering, I am an active clinical researcher for several studies including chemoprevention of breast cancer, prophylactic nipple-sparing mastectomy for high-risk breast cancer in women, and intraoperative radiation therapy for early-stage breast cancer. Additionally, I have published more than 160 research papers and book chapters about breast cancer.
- Clinical Expertise: Breast Disease
- Languages Spoken: English
- Education: MD, University of Milan Medical Center
- Residencies: General Surgery - University of Milan Medical School; Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery - National Cancer Institute of Milan; Breast Surgery - National Cancer Institute of Milan
- Fellowships: Surgical Oncology - National Cancer Institute of Milan
- Board Certifications: General Surgery (Europe)
Research is integral to our mission at Memorial Sloan Kettering, and clinical trials help us discover better forms of patient care and treatment. For you, this could mean access to a new therapy or therapy combination. Click to see a list of the trials I’m currently leading.
Clinical Trials Co-Investigated by Virgilio Sacchini
Most major health insurers offer plans that include MSK as one of their in-network providers. If MSK is in-network, it means all our doctors are too. Medicaid and New York State Medicare also provide benefits for care at MSK.Learn more