I am a surgeon who specializes in the treatment of breast cancer. For the past ten years, I have been involved as a co-investigator in clinical trials in Milan, Italy, to evaluate conservative surgery and sentinel-node mapping in breast cancer. In Italy, I served as Deputy Director of the Breast Department in the European Institute of Oncology, a leading institution for the study and treatment of breast cancer. I was also a clinical coordinator of the Italian Breast Cancer Chemoprevention Study of Tamoxifen and a clinical investigator in breast cancer trials for the European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer (EORTC).
At Memorial Sloan Kettering, I am an active clinical researcher for several studies including chemoprevention of breast cancer, prophylactic nipple-sparing mastectomy for high-risk breast cancer in women, and intraoperative radiation therapy for early-stage breast cancer. Additionally, I have published more than 160 research papers and book chapters about breast cancer.
- Clinical Expertise: Breast Disease
- Languages Spoken: English
- Education: MD, Universita degli Studi di Milano (Italy)
- Residencies: Universita degli Studi di Milano (Italy)
- Fellowships: Instituto Nazionale Tumori (Milan,Italy)
- Board Certifications: General Surgery (Europe)
Research is integral to our mission at Memorial Sloan Kettering, and clinical trials help us discover better forms of patient care and treatment. For you, this could mean access to a new therapy or therapy combination. Click to see a list of the trials I’m currently leading.
Clinical Trials Co-Investigated by Virgilio Sacchini
- A Phase II Study of Neoadjuvant Letrozole with and without GDC-0032 in Postmenopausal Women with Early-Stage Estrogen-Receptor-Positive, HER2-Negative Breast Cancer
- Targeted Silica Nanoparticles for Image-Guided Sentinel Lymph Node Mapping During Surgery in Patients with Melanoma of the Head and Neck