This information describes what to expect during your appointments with Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK)’s Red Team.
About the Red Team
The Red Team is the team of healthcare providers in MSK’s outpatient cellular therapy suite. The Red Team includes:
- Advanced practice providers (nurse practitioners and physician assistants)
- Registered nurses
- Patient care technicians
- Care coordinators (sometimes called session assistants or SAs)
- Physical therapists
You will have appointments with the Red Team for your care before, during, and after your cellular therapy (stem cell transplant or CAR T cell therapy).
The Red Team is in MSK’s outpatient cellular therapy suite. The address is:
Memorial Hospital (MSK’s main hospital)
4th floor, Suite 6
1275 York Avenue
New York, NY 10065
A, B, or C elevator to the 4th floor
It’s easiest to use one of the following entrances:
- 1275 York Avenue (between 67th Street and 68th Street)
- 425 East 67th Street (between First Avenue and York Avenue)
- The Red Team’s phone number is 212-639-3122. You can call this number during the day (from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm) and a member of the Red Team will answer your call.
- At night (from 8:00 pm to 8:00 am), call 212-639-2000. The MSK operator will answer your call. Ask the operator to connect you with the BMT doctor on call.
If you think you need to see a doctor right away, go to MSK’s Urgent Care Center (UCC). The UCC is in Memorial Hospital. The closest entrance is at 425 East 67th Street (between First Avenue and York Avenue). There is also an entrance at 1275 York Avenue (between 67th Street and 68th Street). Both of these entrances are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.Back to top
Before Your Appointments
Your appointment dates will be scheduled 1 to 2 weeks before each appointment. A care coordinator will schedule your appointments in clinic or over the phone. Please make sure we have the best phone number to call you.
Your appointment times will be scheduled the day before each appointment. The time is based on the treatment you’re having and which rooms are available.
A care coordinator will call you the day before your appointment to tell you your appointment time. They usually call between 4:00 pm and 6:00 pm. Your appointment time will also be updated on your MyMSK (patient portal) account the evening before each appointment. Visit my.mskcc.org to log into your MyMSK account.
Your appointment time may change from day to day based on your medical needs and which doctors are available. Please arrive as close to your scheduled appointment time as possible.
- If you’re staying at the American Cancer Society Hope Lodge, an MSK shuttle will bring you to and from Memorial Hospital.
- If you’re staying at MSK’s 75th Street Residence, an MSK bus or van will bring you to and from Memorial Hospital.
A member of the Red Team will give you information about the shuttle schedule.
Bring all of your normal daily medications. You may need to take some of them during your appointment.
If you need to refill a prescription, check the bottle to make sure refills are available. Call the pharmacy at 646-888-0730 between 9:00 am and 5:45 pm from Monday to Friday to have the medication ready for your next visit. You can pick up your medication from the pharmacy or ask to have it delivered to the Red Team.
You may also want to bring:
- Your cell phone and charger.
- Other electronic devices, such as a portable music player.
- Things to read.
- Snacks or drinks. You may want to bring a small insulated container and cool pack. The BMT suite doesn’t have a refrigerator.
During your Appointments
During each of your appointments with the Red Team, you will have a lab appointment and then a treatment appointment.
During your lab appointment, your blood will be drawn. After your blood is drawn, have a seat in the waiting room. A care coordinator will bring you to a treatment room when it’s ready.
Once you’re in a treatment room, a Red Team nurse or patient care technician will measure your vital signs (such as blood pressure and heart rate) and ask about symptoms you’re having. Then, you will get your scheduled treatment.
Other members of the Red Team will also visit you in your treatment room.
- An advanced practice provider will check on you as needed.
- Your doctor will check on you during some of your treatment appointments. If you want to know if your doctor will see you during your appointment, ask the care coordinator when you check in for your appointment. You might see your doctor’s visits on your MyMSK patient portal, but they’re usually not correct.
- A pharmacist will visit you during your first treatment appointment. They will talk with you and make sure you understand all your medications. They may also visit you during some of your other appointments, if needed.
The length of your appointment depends on the exact treatment you’re getting.
Check out with the care coordinator before you leave to see if you have any additional appointments for the day. You can also see if you have any additional appointments by checking your MyMSK account.
You will be able to eat during your appointment. MSK provides food for patients during appointments with the Red Team. You can also bring your own food.
If you want to order food from MSK, a member of the Red Team will bring you a menu. Someone will come to pick up your menu and take your food order at the following times:
- 9:30 am (breakfast)
- 12:00 pm (lunch)
- 4:00 pm (dinner)
You can call the Red Team and place your food order before your visit if your appointment is after the menu pick-up times listed above.Back to top
After You Finish Your Treatments
After your finish all of your treatments, you will no longer have appointments with the Red Team. Your appointments will be in your doctor’s regular clinic. You will still see the same doctor, but you won’t see the rest of the Red Team.
If you need to reach a healthcare team member after you finish all of your treatments, contact your doctor’s office directly.Back to top