This information explains how to do a bowel preparation for your orthopedic surgery.
Follow the instructions below to be sure your bowel is clean and empty before your surgery.
2 (10 ounce) bottles of magnesium citrate
- 2 saline enemas, such as Fleet®
- Clear liquids from the table below
2 Days Before Your Surgery
- Eat and drink only clear liquids. Examples of clear liquids are provided in the table below.
- At 3:00 pm, drink 1 full bottle of magnesium citrate.
|Food/Beverage||Eat/Drink||Do Not Eat/Drink|
Any products with any particles of dried food or seasoning
The Day Before Your Surgery
- Continue to eat and drink only clear liquids.
- In the morning, give yourself 1 saline enema.
- At 6:00 pm, drink 1 full bottle of magnesium citrate.
- 1 hour before bedtime, give yourself another saline enema.
The Day of Your Surgery
Between midnight and up until 2 hours before your scheduled arrival time, you may drink a total of 12 ounces of clear liquids (see Figure 1).
Examples of clear liquids can be found in the “2 Days Before Your Surgery” section of this resource.