This information explains how to do a bowel preparation for your orthopaedic surgery.
It’s important that your bowel is clean and empty before your orthopaedic surgery. Follow the instructions below to do your bowel preparation.
Purchase the following supplies from any pharmacy. You don’t need a prescription.
- 2 (10-ounce) bottles of magnesium citrate
- 2 saline enemas, such as Fleet®
- Clear liquids from the table below
2 Days Before Your Surgery
You will need to follow a clear liquid diet for 2 days before your surgery. Examples of clear liquids are listed in the table below. During your bowel preparation:
- Don’t eat any solid foods.
- Make sure to drink plenty of liquids other than water, black coffee, and tea. Try to drink at least 1 (8-ounce) glass every hour while you’re awake.
|Drink||Do Not Drink|
||Any products with any particles of dried food or seasoning|
At 3:00 pm, 2 days before your surgery, drink 1 full bottle of magnesium citrate.Back to top
The Day Before Your Surgery
- Continue to follow the clear liquid diet.
- In the morning, give yourself 1 saline enema. Follow the instructions on the package.
- At 6:00 pm, drink 1 full bottle of magnesium citrate.
- 1 hour before you go to bed, give yourself another saline enema.