This information is a quick guide for what to do if your chemotherapy medication leaks or spills.
- Put on 2 pairs of disposable gloves.
- Clamp the tubing.
- If you have a pump, turn it off.
- Put the chemo container and tubing in a plastic bag.
- Put clothes and linens that have chemo on them in another plastic bag. If you can’t wash them right away, seal the bag.
- Soak up the spill with paper towels.
- Clean up the spill.
- Wash the area with dish soap or laundry detergent and water.
- Put dirty paper towels and cleaning supplies in the plastic bag with the chemo.
- If the chemo got on your skin, wash the area with soap and water.
- Wash your clothing and linens in hot water. Don’t wash them with any other items.
- Take off your gloves. Put them in the bag with the chemo. Seal the bag tightly. Wash your hands.
Call your doctor’s office right away for more instructions.
If you’re not sure what number to call, call 212-639-2000.Back to top
Make a spill kit that has the supplies below. Keep the kit where you can easily reach it.
- 2 pairs of disposable gloves
- Paper towels or an absorbent towel that can be thrown away
- Dish soap or laundry detergent
- 2 plastic bags that seal (1 gallon size or larger)