This information describes how to get rid of your unused medications with a DisposeRx kit.
It’s important to get rid of your unused medications when you don’t need them anymore. This will keep anyone from using them. Some medications, including narcotics (opioids), can be harmful or dangerous if they’re not taken following a healthcare provider’s instructions.
Most medications can’t be flushed down the toilet or drain. You can use a DisposeRx kit to safely get rid of your unused medications.
A DisposeRx kit contains a powder that dissolves (melts) your medication into a gel. This keeps anyone from using it and makes it safe to throw away in your regular trash. Using a DisposeRx kit instead of flushing your unused medications down the toilet also keeps them from damaging our water supply and harming wildlife. You can find a DisposeRx kit at a Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK) Retail Pharmacy.
To get rid of your unused medication with a DisposeRx kit, follow these steps:
- Remove the prescription label from the pill bottle.
- Open the pill bottle and fill it with warm water until it’s ⅔ full.
- Empty the packet of the DisposeRx kit into the pill bottle.
- Put the cap back on the pill bottle. Make sure the cap is on tight.
- Shake the pill bottle for 30 seconds.
- Throw the pill bottle and empty packet into the trash.
Do not eat, drink, or inhale (breathe in) the powder or gel.
For more information about using a DisposeRx kit, contact your pharmacist.