This information explains how to get ready for your telemedicine visit using MSK Telemedicine.Back to top
About Your Telemedicine Visit
A telemedicine visit is when your healthcare provider uses technology to care for you without you having to travel to their office. During your telemedicine visit, you and your healthcare provider will see, hear, and talk with each other using MSK Telemedicine. Your healthcare provider will be able to check how you’re doing, diagnose any problems you have, and come up with a treatment plan for you. Your video won’t be recorded or saved.Back to top
Getting Ready for Your Telemedicine Visit
If you would like to have an interpreter join your call, let the Office Coordinator who scheduled your appointment know.
Sign a consent form
Before your telemedicine visit, you’ll need to sign a consent form explaining what you can expect from your telemedicine visit. You must sign this form on your own. Your caregiver won’t be able to sign the form for you.
For information about the consent form and how to sign it, read our resource How to Sign Your Telehealth Consent Form.
Test your audio and video settings
You can test your microphone, speaker, and camera before your telemedicine visit by clicking the link for your appointment in MyMSK or in the email or text message we send you. Once you’re logged into your MSK Telemedicine visit, click the “Audio/Video Settings” button in the upper right-hand corner and test your settings.
Add a family member, friend, or caregiver
If you’d like to have your family member, friend, or a caregiver join your call, you can invite them by sending them the link we send you or by inviting them through MyMSK by following steps 1 to 4 below. If you don’t have a MyMSK account, you can invite others to your telemedicine visit by clicking the link in the email or text message we send you 3 days before your telemedicine visit. Your healthcare provider’s Office Coordinator or a Care Coordinator at MSK can also help you invite others using their email address.
- Go to my.mskcc.org and log into your MyMSK account.
- In your appointments, select “More” and then “Details” (see Figure 1).
- Select “Show Details” (Figure 2).
- Select “Add a Family/Friend to This Telemedicine Call” (see Figure 3).
- Fill out the information and select “Add” and “Okay” (see Figure 4).
You can also invite family and friends from the virtual room before your telemedicine visit begins. For more information, read the “Enter the virtual room” section of this resource.Back to top
Joining Your Telemedicine Visit
Follow the steps in this section to start your telemedicine visit through MyMSK or through the email or text message we send you.
Joining through MyMSK
- Go to my.mskcc.org and log into your MyMSK account. You may do this from your computer, smartphone, or tablet. You can also use your MyMSK app. If you plan to use your MyMSK app for your telemedicine visit, make sure you have the latest version of the app downloaded on your smartphone or tablet.
- If you don’t have a MyMSK account, you can visit my.mskcc.org, call 646-227-2593, or call your healthcare provider’s office for an enrollment ID. For more information about signing up for MyMSK, watch our video How to Enroll in MyMSK: Memorial Sloan Kettering's Patient Portal.
- If your caregiver manages your MyMSK account for you, ask them for your login information or have them help you.
- On your homepage, find the telemedicine visit you’re joining and select “Start Telehealth Visit” (see Figure 5).
- A screen will come up asking for access to your camera and microphone. Select “Allow” to let your healthcare provider see and hear you (see Figure 6).
Joining through text message
- If you asked to get text messages from MSK, we’ll send you a text message with a link from MSK Telemedicine 3 days before your telemedicine visit and again on the day of your telemedicine visit. When it’s time for your visit to start, tap the link in your text message.
- A screen will open in your web browser. Tap “I am the patient” and enter your date of birth. Then, tap “Submit” (see Figure 7).
Joining through email
- If you asked to get emails from MSK, we’ll send you an email with a link from MSK Telemedicine 3 days before your telemedicine visit and again on the day of your telemedicine visit. When it’s time for your telemedicine visit to start, select the link in your email.
- A screen will open in your web browser. Select “I am the patient” and enter your name and your date of birth. Then, select “Submit.”
Enter the virtual room
Before your telemedicine visit, you can wait for your healthcare provider in the virtual room. Starting about 45 minutes before your scheduled telemedicine visit appointment time, you can join the virtual room by clicking your telemedicine visit link. As you wait for your healthcare provider, you can access MSK resources, test your audio and video settings, and invite family members and friends to your telemedicine visit right from the virtual room. When your healthcare provider is ready to see you, they’ll enter the virtual room.Back to top
Understanding the Buttons
You may need to use the buttons below during your telemedicine visit (see Figure 8).
- The resources tab has helpful links to MSK resources.
- The gallery view button shows you the video of all the people in your telemedicine visit.
- The share screen button shares your screen with your healthcare provider. You can use this to show a picture or document to your healthcare provider.
- The full screen button makes your video fill your whole screen.
- The show video button switches your video on and off.
- The mute button mutes and unmutes your microphone. When you’re muted, your healthcare provider can’t hear you.
- The chat button opens or hides the chat box.
- The leave call button ends your telemedicine visit.
- The invite people button allows you to invite friends or family members to the visit.
If you have trouble turning on your microphone or video, your healthcare provider can turn them on and off for you during your telemedicine visit. Ask them for help if you need to.Back to top